Why become a member? ×

Recommended replacement tuning keys

Mod_Machine

Hi ...i know its been a while....

I want to replace the tuning keys on my short scale mustang bass...preferably with elephant ear style ones.

I remember being really impressed with the ones that came fitted to an epiphone eb0(!!??) but they were really quite heavy and left my jedson based home build a little out of balance (shame as i love it and used it for recording most of the album but uncomfortable for a set any longer than about 20 mins!)

So any recommendations on what would be a good quality replacement?

cheers in advance

M_M

In order to avoid neck dive, I recommend Hipshot tuners. They are machined aircraft grade aluminum, and a Hipshot ultralight weighs about half of a traditional old-style Fender tuner. On my P-style fanned fret bass, I used these instead of the traditional Schaller-designed old-style Fender tuners and about 1/4 kilo of weight just in the tuners, and I have absolutely no neck dive. They are stable, smooth in their movement, easy to tune, and of the highest construction quality.
[url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=5"]http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=5[/url]

Of course, this advise assumes a modern instrument, not a vintage instrument where originality of parts is an issue.

Anything made by Gotoh, Schaller or Hipshot will be excellent quality.

Hipshot Ultralites will be the lightest, but due to nature of the design to keep the weight down they will only look the same from the front - the back is completely different to the machines you will be replacing.