Why become a member? ×

Fender, but which one?

andypandypudinandpie

Hi All

I'm very interested in buying a Fender bass and cant make my mind up between:

Marcus Miller Fender Jazz Bass

or

Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass

I have also been told the use of a good built in pre-amp would really help the bass sound for slap. The MM bass already has one, would it be worth me having one fitted to the Deluxe?

I would like to use this bass for funk and slap, would appreciate your suggestions.

cheers
Andy

I also thought the deluxe jazz has a pre-amp as standard. Anyway, IMO any Jazz Bass with the right set-up is suitable for slap. You don't need a built in pre-amp, you could use an external unit, such as a Sadowsky (others are available :) ).

It largely depends what you look for in a bass and what type of feel and sound you're after. If the MM Jazz suits you and fits the bill as far as sound is concerned, go for it. I like to tweak stuff and am in the process of gathering bits for a 'bitsa' Jazz.

It also depends on your slap style, your required string action and the type of strings you prefer using.

Try as many basses as you can and you should find the answer :) . Good luck with the search.

Edited by zero9

[quote name='andypandypudinandpie' timestamp='1342885458' post='1742394']
oh I didnt realise that, looking at the Fender spec it didnt mention that. Cheers Essential
[/quote]
[b]Special Electronics[/b]: Active Electronics [b]Controls[/b]: Master Volume, Pan Pot (pickup selector), Treble Boost/Cut, Midrange Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut, Active/Passive Mini Toggle

I don't know much about the Fender Deluxe, sorry....

The Marcus Miller is a good bass, well made and has a nice snappy sound because of it's maple neck and ash body. However, in my opinion the preamp is junk, I get a more convincing Marcus Miller sound with the preamp bypassed and the bass run passive, the preamp gives you bass and treble but sounds a bit thin.

The best way IMO to get the Marcus Miller slap sound:

Any decent Jazz bass, maple neck for brightness, rosewood for more mellow
DR Hi Beam (brightness) or Fat Beam strings (a little more oomph)
Sadowsky preamp, available on board or outboard
Many years of practice ;)