Why become a member? ×

New to Amp Heads + Cabs, In Need of some Help! (Gallien Krueger)

Walton88

Hi everyone, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, its my first time here!

To business - for 8 years I've been using an Ashdown MAG 300W 4x10 combo amp that has really been fine for pretty much everything until recently joining a band that's gigging every weekend and in bigger places, coupled with practices two / three times a week.

What I'm looking for is a head + cab that's a lot more portable than the bulky, back breaker that is the 4x10 MAG so I can leave the MAG in our rehearsal space!

I was out looking for amps today and played through a Gallien Krueger Goldline 500 (500W) head in a GLX 4x10 cab. It sounded great, but I really can't find much information on them online, or reviews, or feedback, or what have you!

It's rated at 500W at 4Ohms, the cab is 8Ohm. The shop is selling them in a deal for £500 which is pretty bloody spectacular and in my price range, but I was just wanting to know if any of you have had any experience of the GK GL500 and GLX cabinets. The plan is to get the gear, then get another 4x10 later on for bigger shows should I need it. This is where I get confused, I literally know nothing about Ohms, and reading the Ohm thread has shed little light on the situation due to a lot of the posts having their data removed, or the pages no longer there etc.

If anyone could give me some feedback on the GK amp in question and some info about Ohms (Would a 4Ohm amp into two 8Ohm cabs work?) that would be awesome!

Cheers,
Chris

Ohms are quite simple to understand really. You get an amp that will take a 4Ω load, you can run either 1 4Ω cab or 2 8Ω cabs & it'll put the full 500 watts to it or 1 8Ω cab will take about 350 watts.

When you start asking how loud a thing will go, things start to get a little more complex as watts have little bearing on volume.

Couldn't tell you that much about GK stuff, but recently some folk was saying that the stuff with gold speakers is rubbish in comparison to the other GK stuff.

There's some good deals going on TC Electronics stuff just now like this...

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tc-electronic-bh500-bass-amp-head-and-bc212-full-stack--99777

Depends what your budget is though.

THis is the current GK budget 4x10. It's probably a bit pricier than the one you're looking at but it's still spectacularly good value and seriously light weight.

[url="http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Gallien_Krueger_410MBE_800-Watt_8Ohm_4x10__Bass_Speaker_Cabinet.html"]http://www.guitarand...er_Cabinet.html[/url]

Edited by DirkThrust