Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision bass with reverse pick up.

hookys6stringbass

Following last years Custom Blacktop Precision.... ie Blacktop body with a deluxe maple fret board neck, im thinking of having another go at assembling another Precision...

Im a big fan of the old Yamaha BB 1200 basses... so im thinking i'll use the same reversed pick up configuration on the Precision.. the neck will be a 21/22 fret maple fretboard neck.
As im a big fan of Simon gallup/JJ burnell the body will be finished in Black... in a sort of homage to there early P basses .... yeah I know im sad;-)

i'd rather use Fender parts but this could prove to be costly so i'm going to research other options...any suggestions for parts would be appreciated...

Edited by hookys6stringbass

Im reasearching the costs on a starting from scratch build or buying a fully loaded body and from the states... i've seen a few places selling necks, bodys etc... on the plus side the body will be finished and all the parts are there, same goes with the neck. Downside id getting shafted by customs.... Plus i'll have to sort the routing for the reverse pick ups and if I mix and match i.e. American neck and Mexican body there will be a little neck pocket sorting to be done... all that adding extra cost to the project

My original thought was to use an American standard body and mate it to a deluxe (circa 2010/2011) neck. Then I realised that the Body is string thru.... i'll have to move the bridge slightly forward for intonation.... bugger!

When you say reverse pup I presume you mean that the D-G half is in front of the E-A half? Apart from a different look, does it make it sound different? I can't imagine it would, but always happy to be proved wrong :)

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1342790274' post='1740985']
When you say reverse pup I presume you mean that the D-G half is in front of the E-A half? Apart from a different look, does it make it sound different? I can't imagine it would, but always happy to be proved wrong :)
[/quote]

Yes that's right D-G in front of the E-A. On my Yamaha BB 1200 the reverse pick ups give a more even sound across the strings... which is what I like.. I don't want a booomy low end and a weak top end. i'm not saying all P basses are like this, but a few i've tried have been... anyway I thought i'd build 'MY' perfect P bass...

I attached a pic of a Fender P bass wuth reversed pups... mmm think I might photoshop it to look like how my build will look like..

• 3 years later...

Finally got around to sorting my Precision bass....
It's up and running and sounds great....well sort of...by that I mean I got a set of Rotosounds and replaced the slinky I had on as a stop gap... the slinkys sounded better!?
At the moment I've got SDP3 pups in at the moment...they're a great pick up,very articulate....but there's something missing...can't quite put my finger on it.
I'm going to research alternatives...
I'm thinking something vintage sounding...
My main basses are Yamaha BB 1200, which may explain why I'm not fully getting on withe SDP3...
Next step will be a 21 fret neck...