Why become a member? ×

Who uses YouTube lessons?

OliverBlackman

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342959104' post='1743111']
I think it could be a lot better. For example there were a few mistakes. When your in the recording studio and you make a mistake, you stop and re record it. I think the same should be done for tuition videos.
[/quote]

I'll tell you why that's probably the wrong way to do it and how the two things you mention aren't comparable. The continuous flow of Scott's dialogue during the course of the video, mistakes or none, represents an easy way for the viewer to relate to a much more real and almost interactive lesson. Perfection means nothing, as no one is perfect. Watching someone like Scott make mistakes and then to go back and correct them just means that he's being honest with himself and honest with the viewer. You've got to remember with videos like Scott's, it's about the way he goes about communicating with you rather than how perfect his playing is. If he's able to get across a particular point or idea to you, then he's done a good job. The mistakes make the video far more visceral for the viewer.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1343035473' post='1743939']
I'll tell you why that's probably the wrong way to do it and how the two things you mention aren't comparable. The continuous flow of Scott's dialogue during the course of the video, mistakes or none, represents an easy way for the viewer to relate to a much more real and almost interactive lesson. Perfection means nothing, as no one is perfect. Watching someone like Scott make mistakes and then to go back and correct them just means that he's being honest with himself and honest with the viewer. You've got to remember with videos like Scott's, it's about the way he goes about communicating with you rather than how perfect his playing is. If he's able to get across a particular point or idea to you, then he's done a good job. The mistakes make the video far more visceral for the viewer.
[/quote]

Not going to knock Scott's playing, he's very good. I appreciate your idea of him having good flow, and it's interesting to me that it makes people feel like their in a private lesson as thats definitely what you want to recreate as best possible.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1342960705' post='1743139']
Just my opinion, I like it when Scott leaves the mistakes in - it shows he's human. I think he's started to gear some of his lessons towards beginners, but I think he's also trying to keep the more advanced people interested as well. It's a fine balance that is quite difficult to maintain, but if he can keep doing that, then more power to him.
[/quote]

Yeh, I think the problem is he's aiming at a different target to what I am wanting to and therefore I don't find all his material appropriate. Good points Louis and Risingson

Edited by OliverBlackman

This is a bass lesson by Flea that is aimed at absolute beginners. I think it's really good and goes into loads of detail! I even watched the whole thing myself recently just because I found it quite enjoyable to have on in the background :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avf2S5MOEeg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avf2S5MOEeg[/url]

• 6 months later...

Wow, that lesson seems like such a long, long time ago. I really had no idea what I was doing (concerning making a video!)

In my defence, it was one of my first. The reason I joined youtube is because a friend wanted to learn Bass, and neither of us could drive at the time. So I started putting up a few rough lessons for him, with the equipment I had. All of a sudden people were commenting and subscribing. That video is pretty much straight after that.

It does have a tiny bit of educational value, though so I left it there!

I like to think the more recent videos are of a better quality. People tend to tell you whats bad on youtube, and its been a learning process for me. 30 thousand subscribers later, and I'm hoping it's getting there...

Cheers, all!

[url="http://www.learnbass.net"]http://www.learnbass.net[/url]