Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever had a bad car crash with a load of gear in the back ?

far0n

Just remembered this.

I got a lift back from band practise by one of the guitarists. He was driving his girlfriend's Mini. We managed to get a 7 piece Drum Kit, my Bass Amp and Cab, his Combo and Guitar and him and me in the car. It was a very tight squeeze!
We dropped the Drum Kit off on the way to my house and then he dropped me off. It was middle of winter and there was ice everywhere. The road he took away from my house was very steep and he lost control of the car, which started to spin, until it hit the flat road at the bottom, side on, where it turned over and rolled through a road sign and a hedge and landed upside down in someone's garden. The owner of the garden came out shouting that he was going to call the Police and threatening him with violence. The Guitarist managed to get the Car back on it's wheels and managed to drive away. He was unhurt. He went straight to the Police to report the accident just in case this bloke had called the them, but he hadn't and the Guitarist ended up being charged £300 for the sign he busted.

Had a couple of near misses on the motorway including a birk drifting into my lane on the M25 resulting in me braking heavily and my 2x10 smacking the back of my seat needless to say if i'm just carrying my 2x10 now i leave the seats up and put it in the boot and strap basses and stuff down with seatbelts

No but it used to worry me a lot when we did a lot of trips up and down the motorway with our Fiesta crammed to the roof with amps etc, if we had crashed it would have been nasty. I reckon that if you are doing regular trips with a lot of heavy gear, a bulkhead type dog guard thing might be a good idea.

Not had an accident but our drummer has been a lorry driver with loads of several tons behind him and is very aware of heavy lumps in the back and where they'll if he hits something.

He tends to pack so that large items go across the car to act like a barrier. We all do the best we can to avoid loose things lieing on the top even though its the favourite place to put guitar.