Why become a member? ×

Power amp - Behringer EPQ900 - any owners?

dincz

As the title says. Now that these amps have got past the vapourware stage and are actually available, any feedback from owners would be appreciated (rather than speculation based solely on the Behringer name).

EDIT: Behringer's blurb says back-to-front cooling airflow whereas the spec sheet says right-to-left. Which is true?

Edited by dincz

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1342370014' post='1733863']
Looking at the picture on their website, there are vents on the sides but none on the back, so I would assume that it's left to right cooling.
[/quote]

Ah, hadn't noticed that. I wonder how it would fare in a rack case.

Not much interest here but it still looks like it might fill the bill. I did find one reviewlet here:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=137746.20

Quote:
"I own and use daily a Behringer EPQ900. I currently run it bridged into 8 ohms and it reproduces my 5 string bass very well and without problems. I will say that it requires a hot signal to operate at full potential. There is no audibly perceivable (to me) lack of lows or highs. I have been using this amp for almost every gig for over a year without problems. It never gets hot and I run it full bore controlling my volume on the bass. Good bang for the buck by me. Good luck"

It states back to front, and has slots in the sides and front so I guess it sucks it in the sides (which you could describe as 'back' as it's behind the mounting ears).

It's not Class D. The flannel implies Class H. There's some terrible pseudo-techno-babble on the site but I wouldn't be put off, looks like a bit of a bargain.

edit: just seen the manual and yes it does state left-to-right! It also states the true RMS output power - considerably less than that published in the puff, maybe not such a bargain after all.

Edited by bremen

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1342519841' post='1736372']
Yeah, class H so I expect it would run hotter than a class D. I'm a bit concerned about cooling in a rack case because of the side vents.
[/quote]

I guess it'd be ok so long as it wasn't sharing with any amps that discharged hot air out of side vents (I have one) but I'd be happier if there was an extra fan in the back of the rack.