Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II TSB-400

chaypup

Bought this off of the 'Bay.

Has anyone seen a headstock shape like this before?

The neck was painted by one of the previous owners and I've already started the restoration process.

Bridge pickup doesn't work - how can I test the pickup as it's a sealed unit?

[IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/IMG_0744.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by chaypup

Browsed it when it was on eBay. Didn't believe the seller's story about it being a prototype. Thought it looked as though the headstock had been reshaped. The original TSB had a four-in-line tuner arrangement, like this. Generally, the headstock is similar - the little kick before the "E" tuner is right, as is the truss rod cover - but you'd expect to see a rounder end to the headstock. Is the neck 32" scale?

I was hoping you'd be along!

Yes, that's what I thought too. The headstock doesn't look as though it's been reshaped though,
if it had, I would've expected it to be as bad a job as the paint job on the neck.

Yep, it's a 32" scale.

Any idea where I'd find a wiring diagram?

Thanks!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1342120251' post='1730043']

Thanks!
[/quote]

Assuming it's not a prototype, there's nothing fancy under the bonnet...

Vol, Tone & a 3-way pickup selector (Neck/Both/Bridge).

I'd venture it *might* have been re-pickuped as well as carved about - my 1981 TSB has staggered exposed poles & the p/ups aren't sealed.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1342133090' post='1730346']
Assuming it's not a prototype, there's nothing fancy under the bonnet...

Vol, Tone & a 3-way pickup selector (Neck/Both/Bridge).

I'd venture it *might* have been re-pickuped as well as carved about - my 1981 TSB has staggered exposed poles & the p/ups aren't sealed.

Pete.
[/quote]

Too fancy for me! Wiring doesn't look quite right, only neck pup connected to the volume which I guess might be the problem?

Mine is the same as the 400 at the very bottom of [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html"]this[/url] page - poles aren't exposed, cream pickups (which is the same as mine hiding under that black paint)

If you have any pics of your wiring, I'd be really grateful to see them so I could compare. :)

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1342120251' post='1730043']
I was hoping you'd be along!

Yes, that's what I thought too. The headstock doesn't look as though it's been reshaped though,
if it had, I would've expected it to be as bad a job as the paint job on the neck.

Yep, it's a 32" scale.

Thanks!
[/quote]

On closer inspection, of course the headstock has been reshaped!

Edit: Wiring was fine, pickup is knackered. :(

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1342606479' post='1737638']Wiring was fine, pickup is knackered. :([/quote]
Well, all the pickup is fit for now is landfill. Once one of that age has gone, it's gone. Time to buy some Alembic AXY pickups, like what I did. :P

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1342606425' post='1737634'] Too fancy for me! Wiring doesn't look quite right, only neck pup connected to the volume which I guess might be the problem? Mine is the same as the 400 at the very bottom of [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html"]this[/url] page - poles aren't exposed, cream pickups (which is the same as mine hiding under that black paint) If you have any pics of your wiring, I'd be really grateful to see them so I could compare. :) [/quote]

Mine's been so chopped about over the last 30 years that a photo won't help much:

See? However...

I also have a 1984 ZZB Custom that has the same arrangement & is untouched:

[s]& an attached PDF drawing.[/s]

Actually, that last bit is a lie as the damn thing won't upload properly, so it's living [url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/ZZB%20Wiring.pdf]here[/url]

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

• 2 years later...

[quote name='PlasticB' timestamp='1407933798' post='2525452']
I have just acquired the same guitar as a project, it has TSB400 Custom on the headstock. I need to make up a wiring harness for it, hence can anyone tell me what rating the pots are and also what the capacitor is in the photo.

Thanks
[/quote]

Pots should be 250kΩA & the capacitor is 0.047μF.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1407944960' post='2525605']
[/quote]
[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1407944960' post='2525605']
[/quote]

Fantastic, thanks, I was about to buy 500kΩA ones, as I thought it needed them being dual coil.

[quote name='PlasticB' timestamp='1408561261' post='2531416']
Fantastic, thanks, I was about to buy 500kΩA ones, as I thought it needed them being dual coil.
[/quote]
Fitting 500kΩA's won't kill anything, in fact they'd give a slightly higher output & a bit more top end. The standard value tone cap would have less effect though.

However if you're like me, that wouldn't matter. I run mine pretty much wide open & use the amp to alter the tone.