Why become a member? ×

Power amp - Peavey IPR1600/Crown XLS1000

dincz

On paper it looks like either would do the job of driving my 8Ω cab with headroom to spare - bridged IPR: 1060W, XLS: 700W. Apart from the slight fiddle involved in bridging the IPR, is there anything else you'd consider in choosing between the two? Reliability?

I've had both and much preferred the sounds coming from the XLS. I found the IPR hellishly loud but somewhat harsh on the ear.

Also, unless they have changed the design, the IPR1600 isn't bridgeable in the traditional sense. Insead, if you use just one speaker output it gives more power to that output than if you were using two.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1342088616' post='1729252']
I've had both and much preferred the sounds coming from the XLS. I found the IPR hellishly loud but somewhat harsh on the ear.

Also, unless they have changed the design, the IPR1600 isn't bridgeable in the traditional sense. Insead, if you use just one speaker output it gives more power to that output than if you were using two.
[/quote]

When you say harsh on the ear, do you mean when running at sensible volume or when at or approaching clipping?

Bridging on the Peavey, although not covered in the manual, is mentioned by Peavey on their forum. It's done by looping the two inputs together (no phase reversal necessary) and using +1 on one Speakon and -1 on the other.

The Peavey offers a little more power (which I don't need) and a little less weight. Otherwise much of a muchness so it's good to hear your comment about harshness. Add that to the garish light show on the IPR and I'm leaning towards the XLS.