Why become a member? ×

Gotoh GBR640 Tuners for lefties?

Billy Apple

Hi,

Anyone know if Gotoh GBR640 Resolite tuners can be altered to fit a lefty neck?

This lot say yes..

[url="http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Tuning-Machines/Gotoh-Res-O-Lite-GBR640-Reverse-Wind-4-In-Line-Vintage-Style-Bass-Machine-Head-Set-Nickel-4"]http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Tuning-Machines/Gotoh-Res-O-Lite-GBR640-Reverse-Wind-4-In-Line-Vintage-Style-Bass-Machine-Head-Set-Nickel-4[/url]

But AllpartsUK say no.

Anyone have the definitive answer?

Thanks

[size=4]Got this email from Mojotone today..

[font=arial, sans-serif]'The key post can be moved to the opposite side BUT it is a delicate operation that involves removing a spring clip and inserts.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Please verify the dimension on the site with your bass as far as fit. [/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif](Not to be uptight but please know that if the key posts are switched we can't take them back if they don't fit correctly.)'[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Seems a bit inconclusive and buyer beware to me.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I responded with..[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]'It's just that the Gotoh website says the GBR640's are for a right hand neck only. If I purchase these from you would you be able to send them to me already set-up for a left hand neck, thus avoiding any non-return issues?'[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I await their reply[/font][/size]

Edited by billyapple

They're the same a Schallers and they're easy to convert. Once you've taken one apart you see what I mean. Pain in the bum having to do it though.

If we stopped being wrong handed then we'd be the same as every one else and not special anymore.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1342220110' post='1732121']
They're the same a Schallers and they're easy to convert. Once you've taken one apart you see what I mean. Pain in the bum having to do it though.

If we stopped being wrong handed then we'd be the same as every one else and not special anymore.
[/quote]

I wish I was special, but regrettably I'm right handed. I've been looking for leftie keys because I'm spec'ing for a P bass build with a reverse headstock. I want the whole thing to be super light, and the Gotoh's tick that box, are in nickel not chrome and look super cool.

Anyway, following on from this email I sent Mojotone the other day...

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1342133846' post='1730362']
[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]'It's just that the Gotoh website says the GBR640's are for a right hand neck only. If I purchase these from you would you be able to send them to me already set-up for a left hand neck, thus avoiding any non-return issues?'[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I received a reply saying they could convert the tuners for me, but with a $25 (£16) up-charge. I think that this will be a good idea. It's a fiddle and I know I could do it myself, but if they do it they'd be under warranty should anything go wrong.

I'm in a knark tho, I missed a set of these going on BC the other day for £25.. and I was first to reply to the post! :angry: