Why become a member? ×

Squier Standard Jazz upgrade- difference between Fender neck pickups?

Hi all,

I've had my 2008 Standard Squier Jazz from new, it was my first bass costing over the £50 mark and it got me through my grade 8 in just under a year so I'm rather attached to it. Just recently I dug it out and used it instead of my Fender Mex Jazz w/badass and decided I actually much preferred it! Slimmer neck and much better 'feel' for want of a better word. Only thing is the stock pickups are shocking, they have a really tinny sounding output with emphasis on the extreme highs and very little midrange.

After an afternoon playing with different heights, I've decided to get a new set of pickups in it and use as my standard gigging bass from now on. I've just had a Fender 75 reissue bridge pup off eBay(saw it going cheap so impulsively bid) and am looking to get a Fender pup in neck position to keep things relative, either a Mexican, American, 60's reissue or 75 reissue.

-Is there any massive difference between the four, and what are their defining characteristics? Should I just get a 75 so both are the same or would it sound better/have a better range of sounds with two different Fender pickups installed?

Apologies in advance if something similar has already been covered...

Hi, I tried to upgrade the pick ups in a Squier Standard Jazz once and found when I tried to fit the new ones that they wouldn't go in due to the SSJ having neck and bridge pick ups both the same size. Might be an idea to double check this before buying anything.

Cheers folks, hadn't thought about the size issue! Will wait for the bridge pickup I've already ordered to come through and see about routing the cavity- hopefully I'll just need to shave a few mm here and there...

Does anyone know the differences between the different fender pickups though? If the 75 bridge on order won't go in the squier without extreme routing I might just stick it in my mim jazz- luckily it's a post 2002 model with different sized pups!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1341835844' post='1724737']
Does anyone know the differences between the different fender pickups though?
[/quote]

This thread from Talkbass might be useful - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/fender-75-reissue-pickups-vs-dimarzio-model-js-655620/

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1341838545' post='1724841']
This thread from Talkbass might be useful - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/fender-75-reissue-pickups-vs-dimarzio-model-js-655620/"]http://www.talkbass....odel-js-655620/[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers, good thread that! Looks like the 75's are the way forward.

Mine came yesterday, in the end I put the '75 in my Fender Jazz, and the Fender Jazz pickup in my Squier. Bit of a tight squeeze but didn't need to reroute as it was only a couple of mm different. Result is an improved Mexican Fender, and a Squier Jazz that sounds considerably better than its bigger brother! Will get hold of a neck position '75 in the next month or so for my Fender and do the same again.