Why become a member? ×

When your double bass breaks...

drewk_ie

It's the morning after the night before, and I finally get to assess the damage to my DB... It doesn't look good...

Playing a gig last night, on both elec and upright, so setting up for the sound check and notice that my DB is a mile out of tune, I'm baffled as she's usually great to stay in tune between gigs and rehearsals, just have it tuned and my guitarist says 'hey what's up with the end of your bass? I spin the bass around and notice that the back of the upright is sitting around an inch off the sides down by the sound peg... Gig about to start, so no time to really take a look... Had to play electric for the full gig...

Take a look this morning and it looks like the peg has been pushed up into the body, which has caused the bottom brace to snap and the body frame to warp with the back pushed/pulled out...

Now to try and find a good luthier in Ireland and see what the real damage and real cost will be to get repaired...

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be much appreciated...

Cheers

Andrew

By soundpeg do you mean the sound post inside the bass? If so, it sounds like the sound post is too big to begin with, which results in it trying to push through the front and back (and also noticeable by checking the f-holes- if one side of the f appears higher than the other then that's what's happening. It could also be the result of this crazy warm humidity we've been having here lately. Ireland's normally just cold and wet but now it's becoming warm and wet. I'm just guessing on this second point, and maybe humidity changes don't happen that quickly.

As for a repair- by all accounts Tom Barrett in Galway is the guy to go to. Don't have a number for him but do a search for double bass and his name and you should be good.

Good luck!!!!!

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1341837708' post='1724806']
Depending on whereabouts you are in Ireland:
[url="http://www.belmontmill.com/uploaded/KeenanWeb2010%20version%20updated.pdf"]http://www.belmontmi...n%20updated.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info...

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1341837260' post='1724790']
If you're northwards, Fitz Howard in Letterkenny is top class.

pm me for contact.

Sorry to hear what happened.
[/quote]
[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1341870772' post='1725555']
Sorry to hear about your bass. Both Fitz and Tom B are excellent. Pm me for phone numbers.
[/quote]

Pm's sent

Thanks Guys