Why become a member? ×

Great embarrassing Gigs of our time...

Chop

At the time, it was the biggest gig I was about to play in front of about 6000 people. Brixton Academy in the early 90's. Nice Trace Elliot bass rig. Also had wireless system. Made sure I checked, double checked and checked again that everything was ok. However, due to my nerves, I accidently turned the amp off. So song started, big guitar and drum intro, drummer does his big fill, enter the big fat low driving bass but nothing. Thankfully, I like to keep things simple and so checked the bass volume was up, wireless was on, skipped over to bass amp turned it on and within 15 seconds after I should have played everything was working. Even have it on video and you can see the singer knows something was wrong.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WReDWRXEzEo&feature=channel_page"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WReDWRXEzEo&...re=channel_page[/url]

Its amazing how quickly your brain takes over. The other one which was worse was playing small pub gig. Pub was packed and pretty intimate. We were doing a cover of Stand by me in G. We did a verse with just acoustic guitar and vocals and then the rest of the band kicks in. I decided to come in of F# and it was such a howler that the whole pub laughed. Oh well, funny looking back.

Edited by Linus27

Did a gig at a pub called The Fighting Cocks in Bagshot. We announced one of our songs saying this song is about fighting. Half way through the song, a big fight broke out, spilled out onto the road, the Police was called and the gig stopped. Even made the local newspaper ;)

Another one of our gigs was at The Princess Hall in Aldershot. They had a statue of Arthur English who I think was a soldier based in Aldershot or something like that. Anyway, during our gig, our fans decided to strip him of his clothes and deface the poor chap. Again, that made the local papers :P

[quote name='Linus27' post='392893' date='Jan 27 2009, 04:39 PM']They had a statue of Arthur English who I think was a soldier based in Aldershot or something like that.[/quote]

He was a 40's comedian usually portraying a 'spiv'-type character. Very like Pte Walker in Dad's Army.

...and also appeared in Magnum PI ;) The world just keeps getting stranger.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='393108' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:48 PM']

He was a 40's comedian usually portraying a 'spiv'-type character. Very like Pte Walker in Dad's Army.

...and also appeared in Magnum PI ;) The world just keeps getting stranger.[/quote]

I always knew him as the caretaker in Are You Being served :P:)