Why become a member? ×

Markbass R500 hybrid head

Clarky

First impressions very very positive - with gain high up get really gritty overdriven sound, think intro to Ace of Spades or Love Song (The Damned), which is where I want to be in my punk band, Kismetik. Roll off the gain and its a warm tubey round sound (I am not technical) which would suit traditional rock, soul and blues IMHO. Playing with the EQ controls also gives a deep, deep dub reggae sound. Thus it seems a very versatile amp and I can no longer see a need for my Tech 21 LM 300 head which weighs four times as much in its rack sleeve. Probably not right if you want a 'modern' hifi, slap bass sound but can't think of any other genre it would not work with.

Niceguyhomer was right - wow what a head!

Looking forward to really giving it some serious time in next week or so, ahead of a couple of gigs (if interested anyone main one is a punk/ska 'Battle of the Bands' on 6th May at Hope & Anchor, Islington)

Cheers, a pleased Clarky

PS, tested with my P bass (which has Seymour Duncan high-gain p/u's)

I suspect the Shuttle 6.0 (not the solid state only 3.0) will compare pretty well with the R500, as well as being >£100 cheaper. Certainly on the US TalkBass forum they love 'em!

However, I chose the R500 for several reasons:

- I am after a very specific overdriven rock sound (Motorhead/Damned etc) and Mark at Bass Direct thought the R500 would be better than the Shuttle in this regard.
- I prefer the 'rockier' black look of the Markbass (superficial I know).
- Never used GB gear and the fact that the Markbass LMII is so highly regarded gave me additional confidence in buying a Markbass head.
- Finally I knew it would be totally compatible with my Markbass 106HR cab.

Different strokes for different folks!

ATB Clarky

Edited by Clarky

Just read this [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376454"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376454[/url]

might be useful for anyone considering their markbass options.