Why become a member? ×

Stingray pick-up / preamp

Guest MoJo

Most people go on the basis that the G is weak so the pickup must need raisng higher and higher until its so close they cant play it then sell it on and chime in telling us they had a Ray and the G was crap so had to sell it on! There is some truth in the EQ needing to be set accordingly to help but I think if all the things that have been mentioned in this thread are acheived first most amps set flat should get you in a useable position often not a bad sound that just needs adjusting to personal taste and playing style.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1341244857' post='1715658']
That makes sense, lowering the pickup will decrease the magnetic pull effect on the string thus letting it vibrate more freely.
[/quote]

On mine, I'm not sure if its actually stopping it vibrate, just gives a weaker, chorussy sort of tone if too close, like its some magnetic phenomenon rather than physical stopping.

Guest MoJo

I've lowered the pick-up and that's made an improvement. Heavier gauge strings on order. It's really starting to grow on me. Can't wait to use it in anger at a rehearsal

Funnily enough I have just done a string change on my blue one ready for tonights gig, I tried holding a string near the pickup and the myth about the pole pieces is totally busted, even when the string is level with the pickup where its never going to be the magnets still have a lot of pull! They overlap from pole piece to pole piece would make it neither here nor there, I'd say you could put the strings between the pieces and hear little to no difference :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341595958' post='1721658']
Funnily enough I have just done a string change on my blue one ready for tonights gig, I tried holding a string near the pickup and the myth about the pole pieces is totally busted, even when the string is level with the pickup where its never going to be the magnets still have a lot of pull! They overlap from pole piece to pole piece would make it neither here nor there, I'd say you could put the strings between the pieces and hear little to no difference :)
[/quote]

Our own Mythbusters team: 1 - Myth: 0

:lol:

Guest MoJo

I'm hoping that it's down to the strings not suiting the bass so I've ordered a different brand in a heavier gauge.

What do other Ray players on the forum use on their basses?

A lot of people swear by a 45 G string , I have found that you need to move the pickup even further away after you put the thicker strings on so don't be afraid to back it off even more, the ceramic pickup has a huge output mine is almost flush with the pick guard where the little thumb rest ramp is with 45-130's on it. I use pink EB 40-125's but have just gone up to the green 45-130 on the black one, I like the 130 so I'm about to order two packs with the takings from last nights gig :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1341642408' post='1722141']
I'm hoping that it's down to the strings not suiting the bass so I've ordered a different brand in a heavier gauge.

What do other Ray players on the forum use on their basses?
[/quote]

Generally D'Addario XL170 45-105 these days, but I have used DR Hi-Beams 45-105 also, which I like a lot.
REgarding the pickup, it is angled towards the G... but the whole thing is not too close to the strings. Experiment a bit, I'm sure you will find that a few minor adjustments help a lot.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341648483' post='1722186']
Can I be the one with the big moustache? :D
[/quote]

I think it would suit you :)

I had moustache and beard once, but I also loved egg mayonnaise sandwiches... horrible combination. I prefer a fuzz-free face these days :lol:

Guest MoJo

Just discovered that only one coil of the pick up is working (the coil furthest from the bridge) which would probably explain why it doesn't sound very Stingray-esque. Looks like the pup's coming out tomorrow

Someone might of been messing around previously? A fan of Jazz basses maybe? If they have and they are not total idiots then the wires might be long enough to re solder them back as they should be, some of them have the area to be soldered on show anyway failing that. If only one coil is working then its neither series nor parallel which sounds more like someone has done that rather than the coil failing, I'm not sure I have ever heard of one failing?

Pics of the back of the pickup please :)

Guest MoJo

Pick-up buggered :(

A quick look at the underside revealed someone had been tampering. Never a good sign

Fetched the bobbins out of the pick up housing and all became clear. The coil windings aren't even attached to the output post and there's no sign of a loose end to the winding flapping about

Should look like the one on the other coil below

I'm beginning to curse the day I agreed to keep this. I should have sent it back to the guy who sold it to me and had my money back. I've sent an email to Andy at Wizard pick-ups to see if it can be repaired. If it can't, any recommendations for the best 'StingRay' sounding replacement?

Edited by MoJo

Discovering the fault is always great news.

I suspect Andy will be able to fix it with no problem, perhaps even improve it. It's worth hanging onto the bass, in my opinion, you'll know what you have in the end. You could show the pics to the seller threaten to send it back to him but really be after something towards paying Andy.

I have to say I disagree about needing certain string gauges, or even eq settings to make a Stingray work. I use 40s on the G with no problem and if I wind out the mid on any bass the definition of the G reduces. Wind in the treble and it'll cut your head off.

I have doctored the 3 band pup a little by simply pushing the pole pieces of the A and E to be flush and leaving the G and D a couple of mill proud but this is mainly because I use the pup as a thumb rest and wanted it to be reasonably proud o the body on the E side. (Also, for some reason, the pole pieces were some 4-5mm proud when I got the bass and they were shaving skin from my fingertips!)

You're nearly there, I'm excited on your behalf!

Got the pick-up back from Andy today. What a difference. It actually sounds like a Stingray now and the G string is strong and clear.....RESULT