Why become a member? ×

Yellowjackets

AndyBob09

Hey all,

I've been asked to play in a band that plays the music of Yellowjackets. I've aways known OF Yellowjackets but have never been in to them.

Can anyone recommend a sort of 5 album list that I should go out and buy to sink my teeth in to them over the next few weeks before I receive any sort of charts for the music and so I don't seem like a total plonker on the first rehearsal.

Cheers in advance!

Sorry for keeping no charts, but here is my 5 album list of the Yellowjackets, which I love:

"Yellowjackets"
Their debut album back in ´81. With Ricky Lawson on drums and Robben Ford on guitar. It´s a top-of-the-game JazzFunk example and note Haslips cool thumpin and pluckin bass!

With joining of the great Bob Mintzer the band became extrordinaire on:

"Run For Yer Life"

"Dreamland"

"Blue Hats"

"Club Nocturne"

I really dig the the deep locking connection between Haslip and drummer Will Kennedy, which is one of my all-favourite drummers. His skilled successor Marcus Baylor changed the band sound into a lot cooler, intellectual thing, which wasn´t my cup of tea over the years since Kennedy came these days back to the Jackets again to fill in.

Best of luck to you... YJ music usually has lots of chords and quite a few tunes have unison piano/bass bits. "Like A River" is one of my fave albums - I did a transcription of Man Facing North which I posted on here ages ago. The Sher Real Books have quite a few charts. Four Corners is another interesting album, as is Blue Hats. I must admit though that it's easy to go off them and I haven't listened to them since Altered State, which didn't do it for me...