Why become a member? ×

Any idea of value?

Graham

I bought a de-fretted 70's Japanese jazz copy by Avon a couple of years ago, when I got it I found the electronics didn't work properly so it sat in the corner of my room un-played for quite a while, Recently I've had one of the electronics engineers at work sort out it out - new input jack, new pots, wiring on the neck pickup sorted it and it now works fine.

It actually sounds and plays pretty decent - fairly wide neck for a jazz, more like a P which is to my taste but I've never really clicked with the fretless thing so it's just carried on being un-played and now we've moved to a flat, it's been left in it's case at my parents. If I had use for a fretless, I'd quite happily keep it, but I can't see in point at this stage

So I'm looking to move it on, but have no idea of the value, I'm assuming pretty low but it would be nice to know where to price it, so does anyone have a ballpark figure?

Whoever de-fretted it, did a pretty decent job and unsurprisingly for a 40 year old instrument there are dings in it; there's still a couple of issues - the bridge could do with a clean, though works fine, the nut doesn't look great and one of the inlays could do with being re-glued as it buzzes when that fret is played - though this is in-audible through an amplifier.

I've got most of the dings in the below pictures so I hope that helps give an honest value.

Cheers guys,

Maybe less for a fretless. The pups and bridge aren't Jazz types which reduces its value. A noname Jazz fretless went on here for £50 and looks to be a lot better condition and components that the Avon I'm afraid.

You could try for £50 but I think you'd be down to £30 before you found any interest.

I paid about £50 for it, so not the end of the world if I don't see much back for it, but if we're getting down to about £30 I might donate it to my local jam night - rather people were playing and enjoying it than sitting un-played.

Either that, or put it on Ebay with a £0.99 starting bid

Edited by Graham