Why become a member? ×

Bronco pick up replacement

Is this a bit OTT as a replacement for the stock Bronco pick up?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warman-Dominator-Quad-Hot-Rail-Humbucking-pickup-/180840914781?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a1af55f5d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warman-Dominator-Quad-Hot-Rail-Humbucking-pickup-/180840914781?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a1af55f5d[/url]

I haven't even got the Bronco yet ,it went in the post yesterday, but I get the impression that Broncos, or at least some of them, are routed for a humbucker sized pick up.
The pics I've seen on TB sort of suggest that. It looks like as long as they are no wider than a strat pick up they should fit.
It was more the fact I'm sort of lost with the whole hot rail, cool rail sort of thing. Generally I've a firm beliver that more is more but is hotter necessarily better in a bass?

The Bronco, as much as Musicmaster, used the Strat pickup covered with plastic to hide six magnet poles. Many Bronco/Musicmaster owners removed the original pickup and installed dual rail, Strat pickup sized humbackers instead. :)

I replaced one with a lipstick strat pickup (whichever one was wound the most), looked really neat and sounded pretty good too:

And most recently, had a Fender single coil P pickup put in one.

Edited by neepheid

I've changed the weak (mustang guitar - not strat) pickup in a couple of early 70s music master basses. I used strat sized rail humbuckers from brandoni each costing £25 a while ago. The enclosed cool rails in my daphne blue sounds just right - punchy & deep- as well as looking identical to the stock pickup, but the exposed hot rails in my daughter's custom painted lilac one is too clanky for my taste. If I had another one to upgrade, I'd definitely use a cool rails again.