Why become a member? ×

What have I done?

EdwardHimself

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1378472792' post='2200833']
I may look impressive to have big loud monitors but unless you have a large enough space with good acoustic treatment they can cause you a lot of problems. Smaller less powerful monitors will do you more favours in smaller spacers. when looking at [font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2]recommendations see what type of room they are used in and what type of music they are used for.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
When you say space what size of space are we talking about for this type of monitor, I am going to use an average sized double bedroom would these be a bad idea for this space, I have read that anything below a six inch speaker isn't recommended for monitoring purposes.

This is a subject that could get complicated very quickly but I will try to keep it simple.
The only difference a larger bass driver makes is to allow the speaker to produce louder deep bass. a smaller driver should be capable of developing loud enough bass in a domestic environment.
The problem with sub bass it is hard and expensive to control, if your speakers can deliver an extended bass you need a well treated acoustic environment to place them in because the lower frequencies will be far from flat and would probably lead you to make wrong mix decisions.
Unless you are mixing for cinema or EDM I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most people get by mixing on smaller speakers and they do a great job. If you want to release your mixers commercially and are the lows you could have them professionally mastered by someone with the resources to make accurate judgements.

Edited by ironside1966

I have a pair of Rokit RP6 (version 1), and the useable bass is very good - so much so that I can play my TD3 kit through them and hear the kick drum at a reasonable level without them blowing up. I considered RP8s at the time, but for the difference in low end I decided against the extra outlay.

It may sound contradictory but my advice would be to try them both out and see which suits you best but don’t fall in the trap of bigger is best, take each one on its own merit.
Remember you are not buying hi fi speakers take a few tracks you know well to the shop and listen out for the detail especially in the mid range.

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1378918551' post='2206531']
Cheers for the advice, have gone for the RP 6 G3s pick them up tomorrow, problem with this home studio lark is its never ending. I have already got my on other stuff I REALLY NEED :D
[/quote]
Glad you got sorted, Just remember that they are not hi-fi speakers and need to place them properly there is plenty of information on how to do this on the internet. Let us know how you are getting on with them.

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1379116029' post='2208968']
Glad you got sorted, Just remember that they are not hi-fi speakers and need to place them properly there is plenty of information on how to do this on the internet. Let us know how you are getting on with them.
[/quote] Cheers I will once I get my room setup, will be a few week before its ready

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would do an update on the Rockit 6 G3S, been using these for a while now and to be honest I thought at first there wasn't a lot of difference to using my good quality hifi speakers that I used to use for mixing, my old mixes always sounded muggy and not right somehow, but I could never sort the problem out. Since using these the difference is massive when I have finished a mix and play it back on my hifi speakers, the sound quality overall is much better and very CD quality, crisp, clear and everything is in a much better place in the mix. Don't get me wrong I am only learning, but the difference is massive. I am just adding acoustic foam to the room I use for recording and according to what I have read, this should allow me to make better judgements in the mixing process. The Rockits have definitely been worth the money, I know they are a budget level monitor but for me probably the best investment I have made so far. Love them and highly recommend them if anyone is thinking about getting a pair. Problem is now I have got the bug and as my vocal ability is a bit naff I am now thinking of investing in a TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus rack effect, my brother is in America at the moment and I can get the plus model for about £135 and get it sent as a present, should save nearly £300, they are going on ebay for a starting bid of more than this second hand. So I am really tempted. Anyone any thoughts on these?