Why become a member? ×

Help with a daft question / ampeg porta flex

chrisAngryman

So am I right my cab runs at 4 ohms ( Marshall mb410), and I'm thinking off getting a ampeg porta flex 350 which at 4 ohms will give full 350 watts am I correct in my thinking, I think the bank holiday has blown my mind a bit oh and does anyone have the ampeg porta flex ? Any reviews ?

Er ... these were the facts. Have you been doing some thinking yet? ;)

Fun aside, yup, the PortaFlex gives 350W at 4 Ohm, and the cab can handle 600W at 4 Ohm.

My guess is you're asking about the safety of this. Disregard the following if that's not what you meant.
The four 10" speakers should be safe. If you turn up very much, then the safety of the tweeter depends on all kinds of design features. Hard clipping with eventual full output of high frequencies _might_ ruin the tweeter, but as indicated does depend both on the tweeter and on the amp design.

An output of upto 350W should normally (with average speaker efficiency) translate into enough noise for smaller venues, but IIRC, the MB 410 isn't so efficient, so this could be limiting for you. A test or wise words from others here would be needed.

I used to use the Marshall MB410 with the matching head, which gives out 300 watts at 4 ohms. Never needed to push it past 5 on volume. Assuming your band isn`t incredibly loud, those 350 watts should be plenty.

Additionally, I had the Ampeg PF500, and the sound of this range is great. I did a review of it on here.