Why become a member? ×

Power Amp Choice

tippbass

Have a look at the Crown XLS1000/XLS1500 too. They need a little more signal level from the preamp but yours will drive them easily.

If you're using the EBS cab alone, you may want to run the amp in bridge mode - depending on your power needs. Although you can do this on both the Peavey and the Crown, it's a bit of a fiddle on the Peavey if I remember correctly.

Edited by dincz

Just checked the Crown Xls 1500 out online, seems to have a few more features on it (low pass filters etc) whether these would be of benefit in a bass set I don't really know, are they designed more for PA set up ? Power wise on paper they both seem to be pushing the same amount of power around 525/530 per Chanel in to 4 ohms , my EBS cab is 4 ohms so one Chanel of that should do me nicely .
Ive had only good experiences with both Peavey & Crown in PA use so nothing to chose from there ..... Might just come down to price and according to Musicstore & Thomann there's a €100 in the difference ...... Decisions Decisions !!!

Really any power amp will do what you need, it's just a case of finding one that suits you in terms of power, features, weight and price etc. Low pass filters on the power amp help to reduce the "non-useful" frequencies below whatever you set it at..usually around 20-30hz. Cutting these helps to reduce the strain on your speaker and help it perform more efficiently. I think you will be fine no matter what you buy, just find one that suits you.

I've just bought a QSC plx1602 for use with a Hellborg preamp and they are good value (especially used... actually may 'have' to be used as I think they are discontinued). Nice weight and the amp will go down to 2 ohms on each side, though I have no idea when you'd need to do that and I do find it annoying that it is advertised as a 1600w power amp when that is it into 2 ohms each side (500w each 4 ohm side is still plenty enough). Clip limiters, bridging and parallel mode are all useful (the bridging less so IMHO) and it is nice and quiet in operation (nice quiet power down/up as well).

It has low pass filters and they don't make any discernible effect on what you hear from your bass cabs but they do stop your amp wasting power reproducing frequencies that you don't require/perceive.

In summary, worth looking for.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1338888741' post='1680445']
I've just bought a QSC plx1602 for use with a Hellborg preamp and they are good value (especially used... actually may 'have' to be used as I think they are discontinued). Nice weight and the amp will go down to 2 ohms on each side, though I have no idea when you'd need to do that and I do find it annoying that it is advertised as a 1600w power amp when that is it into 2 ohms each side (500w each 4 ohm side is still plenty enough). Clip limiters, bridging and parallel mode are all useful (the bridging less so IMHO) and it is nice and quiet in operation (nice quiet power down/up as well).

It has low pass filters and they don't make any discernible effect on what you hear from your bass cabs but they do stop your amp wasting power reproducing frequencies that you don't require/perceive.

In summary, worth looking for.
[/quote]Hi John, are you loving the Hellborg? I'd love to give one a try.

I use a QSC PLX 3102, with either an Ampeg SVTIIP, or, Aguilar DB680.
Having that much power on tap delivers effortless bass and when you dig in, the tubes compress nicely in the pres, giving you a gut wrenching punch.

QSC for me, sounded better than a Crown I once had

I 'trialled' the Hellborg 2 years ago Steve during a free taster/review competition Warwick were running and at the time I found that with my piezo equipped basses it was fantastic and way different from the Thunderfunk, however with 'normal' magnetic equipped basses there wasn't a massive difference... possibly not as full sounding as the TF (we are talking subtle differences) but with a more open feel to it.

I subsequently won the Hellborg (though I did have to pay £75 shipping from the States and then subsequently got clattered for import tax/duty) and I have to say that with more time to sit and trial this both live and in the house I am finding that it has got more differences from the TF than I first observed. It has a clarity, yet warmth, that I hadn't first appreciated and the way that it highlights the overtones and harmonics of the note as you move up/down/across the neck is proving to be an eye-opener. I'm not 100% that it will replace my TF for live work as the TF just comes across as a little fatter and dirtier (without either preamp being overdriven in any way. Oddly enough this is a view reflected by another BCer who has both a HB and TF750; difference is that they do recording etc and they find the HB good for this whereas I don't record these days, it's all live stuff.

The QSC is a lovely pairing with the HB and it has me gravitating toward my MM Sterling whenever I do various A/B comparisons.

I may see if there is a local BassBash needs organising and I'll set the two rigs up side by side. ;)