Why become a member? ×

ibanez gsr body + fender spec fretless neck?

stelios82k

hello everyone, i have an ibanez gsr190 with wrecked truss rod and a spare fender specs fretless neck.

i would like to ask if it is possible to install the neck on the ibanez body and what are the possible issues that might occur and if are solve-able.

thank you in advance!

Two real sticking points as far as I can see.

1) Ibanez necks are a lot slimmer than Fender style necks, so the neck pocket on the guitar body will need to be enlarged to accomodate the new neck.

2) You might need to adjust the positioning of the neck within the pocket to allow the '12th fret' to become equidistant to the nut and the bridge saddles.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1338224656' post='1671109']
Two real sticking points as far as I can see.

1) Ibanez necks are a lot slimmer than Fender style necks, so the neck pocket on the guitar body will need to be enlarged to accomodate the new neck.

2) You might need to adjust the positioning of the neck within the pocket to allow the '12th fret' to become equidistant to the nut and the bridge saddles.
[/quote]

is it possible to just use individual bridge saddles (not one-piece bridge) instead of relocating the neck to achive the same result?

Edited by stelios82k

[quote name='stelios82k' timestamp='1338249000' post='1671753']
is it possible to just use individual bridge saddles (not one-piece bridge) instead of relocating the neck to achive the same result?
[/quote]

If you have the space behind the current bridge then that would work, but things are getting ugly at that point!

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1338291759' post='1672158']
Split the Ibanez into parts and sell them on eBay (keeping what you need, eg pickup, bridge etc). Use the funds to buy a used P or J style body to go with your neck.
[/quote]

+1
Trying to lash together two totally different instruments throws up more problems than advantages.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1338291759' post='1672158']
Split the Ibanez into parts and sell them on eBay (keeping what you need, eg pickup, bridge etc). Use the funds to buy a used P or J style body to go with your neck.
[/quote]

i thought it too. but after your suggestion i took the decision. body sold. i bought a used fully loaded squier vintage modified 77 jazz bass body for 75$. i hope the neck wil fit....

thank you guys for the response you saved me from a lot of (nice though...) trouble! :D