Why become a member? ×

Sticky maple neck

pumkinkin

Hi,

I looked up the forum but couldn't find a thread with an answer to my problem so here you go:

I've got a bass with an oil-finished maple neck (and ebony fretboard, in case it's relevant information). For a while now the neck has developed a sticky feel, which makes it a bit unpleasant to play. It's a rather good quality instrument (a Moon MBC-5) so I don't suppose it's a matter of poor finish.

I try to wax the body (which is also finished in oil) and neck regularly using some of [url="http://www.lordsheraton.co.uk/beeswax.html"]this[/url].

Any ideas on why the neck might have gotten sticky -and more importantly how I can correct this?

Some advice on how to (better) care for the neck would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Baran

Edited by pumkinkin

If you have acidic sweat (are you a vegetarian?) then you will get this with oil finish and beeswax if there is too much excess. I even get it on nitro laquer, after a hot gig it goes all sticky. After a long time with the same bass I have completely removed the laquer from the back of the neck now,its down to the wood and feels great.

Maybe you shouldn't polish it so often and make sure you buff away at it for a good time when you do... Sounds like it might be polish bound and the very thing you're doing to try and remove the stickiness is making it stickier!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1337700552' post='1664184']

Would wire wool work too, chief?

I've never tried it with a waxed neck, mind.
[/quote]

Might do.
I think there might be some good vids on yt (specifically for MusicMan) which show you how to care for oiled necks.
I'm on my phone so I can't go hunting for links just now.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried removing the excess wax previously but may have been a little too gentle, so I'll give rubbing harder a try first, then scotchbrite if that doesn't work.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1337694640' post='1664075']
If you have acidic sweat (are you a vegetarian?)
[/quote]

As far as I know my sweat isn't overly acidic -at least I haven't so far burnt holes on my t-shirts around my armpits and haven't managed to remove any finish on the necks of my other basses (which I've played much more). And I'm not a vegetarian, I like to have animals on my plate. Why. do vegetarians tend to have more acidic sweat?!?

Edited by pumkinkin

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337701299' post='1664215']
Might do.
I think there might be some good vids on yt (specifically for MusicMan) which show you how to care for oiled necks.
I'm on my phone so I can't go hunting for links just now.
[/quote]

Think I've found it: http://youtu.be/24yWr2LRmJY

I have no scientific research at all to back this up, but a guitar tech I know asked me this question when I spoke to him about my sticky neck issues. Apparently he was veggie for a while and his sweat increased in acidity, and he knows a few guitarists who are veggie all of whom have acidic sweat. I'd be interested if you can back this up with science though Al!

I'm a veggy and have no corrosive sweat issues.
Quite the opposite actually, my hands are very un-sweaty... or oily even, so much so I don't even leave much of a finger print on anything - you should see me turning the pages of a book (or other times where a firm grip on a piece of delicate paper is highly necessary ;)) or opening a fresh bin liner. It's quite comical... to my family at least.

Sorry to interrupt the veggie-acidic sweat discussion but does anyone know if there's a product available in the U.K. identical to the oil soap the guy uses in the video, or anything that could serve the purpose? All that I could find were for finished/varnished wood.

No problem, I actually enjoy the discussion, so by all means, feel free to continue.

I did find the link you suggest but on closer inspection noticed it's possible to order in multiples of 12 only. Afraid I don't have sufficiently many basses to justify that kind of a purchase.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1337849708' post='1666240']
I have no scientific research at all to back this up, but a guitar tech I know asked me this question when I spoke to him about my sticky neck issues. Apparently he was veggie for a while and his sweat increased in acidity, and he knows a few guitarists who are veggie all of whom have acidic sweat. I'd be interested if you can back this up with science though Al!
[/quote]Apologies for o/t, my extensive research shows sweat is at the normal skin pH which is 5.5 - 6.5, ie: very slightly acidic. Although diet can affect pungency of sweat (esp. onions, chillis, garlic) it has no discernible effect on pH. Incidentally if you wash your hands too much with soap which is on the alkaline side, ( normally 8 or 9) this interferes with the skins natual slight acid pH and leads to dry skin issues, but not rusty strings.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='pumkinkin' timestamp='1337859644' post='1666474']
No problem, I actually enjoy the discussion, so by all means, feel free to continue.

I did find the link you suggest but on closer inspection noticed it's possible to order in multiples of 12 only. Afraid I don't have sufficiently many basses to justify that kind of a purchase.
[/quote]

Search for lemon oil (it's basically the same stuff)
Although I'm not sure that stage in the vid is exactly essential as you sand off the top most layer anyway, what's the point of cleaning it first. Fine if you already have the stuff.

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1337860366' post='1666488']
Apologies for o/t, my extensive research shows sweat is at the normal skin pH which is 5.5 - 6.5, ie: very slightly acidic. Although diet can affect pungency of sweat (esp. onions, chillis, garlic) it has no discernible effect on pH. Incidentally if you wash your hands too much with soap which is on the alkaline side, ( normally 8 or 9) this interferes with the skins natual slight acid pH and leads to dry skin issues, but not rusty strings.
[/quote]
Interesting stuff Al, I must be on the lower side 5.5, and I never get dry skin at all. My strings don't rust, but they go dull fast even the DR coated ones and I can strip the nitro off a neck faster than a tin of nitromors! I must be the opposite to you Ou7shined as I leave fingerprints everywhere! No life of crime for me!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337860476' post='1666491']
Although I'm not sure that stage in the vid is exactly essential as you sand off the top most layer anyway, what's the point of cleaning it first.
[/quote]

Somehow the thought of approaching my basses with sandpaper gives me the heebie-jeebies -I know it sounds stupid. But maybe it's time I man up...

I think a healthy amount of nervousness is required as you approach any bass with a sheet of sandpaper.
Its what stops you going "I'll do this in no time with an orbital sander"
Keep it fine, even and not too much pressure you'll be right - the good thing about an oiled neck is you're not going to scratch the finish.

[quote name='pumkinkin' timestamp='1337861221' post='1666500']
Somehow the thought of approaching my basses with sandpaper gives me the heebie-jeebies -I know it sounds stupid. But maybe it's time I man up...
[/quote]

Stick to the 2 basic rules young Padawan and you'll be fine - always follow the grain and never sand anything that doesn't need to be sanded... ie. quit while your ahead. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337862524' post='1666524']
Stick to the 2 basic rules young Padawan and you'll be fine - always follow the grain and never sand anything that doesn't need to be sanded... ie. quit while your ahead. :D
[/quote]

At this point I would greatly benefit from an instructional song on how to sand the neck of your bass, maybe accompanied by an animation featuring a bass neck running away from the grim looking sandpaper, who in the end turns out to be a nice fella.