Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cajun and Zydeco music

These two genres seem pretty quiet on the UK front, they come and go but they seem a bit down at the moment with not many festivals going on each year in the UK.

Are there any other cajun or zydeco bassists on here? I'm more asking just from curiosity, I don't know if there's more bands in other parts of the country or if anyone else has even heard of it. :D

TF for the internet. Just found 'em on itunes! Think I'll buy it and go visit my past!
[url="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/deaf-heights-cajun-aces/id294727707"]http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/deaf-heights-cajun-aces/id294727707[/url]

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1337508552' post='1660979']
Haven't seen aything on that front up here since The Deaf Heights Cajun Aces. I had one of the best nights of my life, boogie-ing to them. Ace music.
[/quote]

I was in a band with Kim (the accordionist) from Deaf Heights for several years. We did a fair chunk of the Cajun and Zydeco repertoire, plus Kim's own rather eccentric compositions. There were some fun gigs with that band, though the lineup changed that often that there were some patchy ones too. It did get me into listening to guys like Nathan Abshire and Clifton Chenier though, which is a good thing.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Playing this type of stuff (sort of) in a three piece band at the moment.
Front man is great - Vocals, CBG, Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Fiddle, Slide....
Drummer/Percussionist uses a GigPig and a super assortment of banging shaking things.
Tremendous fun, never play the same song twice the same way and the punters seem to love it wherever we play.
And, best of all, no egos in the band whatsoever.
Will let you know when recording is available.

Yeah, the fluidity of the music is one of the things I enjoy, we just learn the song's parts then keep an eye on the singer/drummer to know when to change. We also seem to add in new sections and dynamics all the time on the fly and somehow get it sounding smooth.

Totally different to my other band that's very strict songs (though still very fun).

We tend to do our own take on it, rather than traditional numbers we play zydeco in a very ska style. We throw in a lot of popular songs as covers (in a zydeco way). Here's a live vid from Zydecozity that features all of us very drunk and me feeling very aware that someone's pointing a camera at me while I'm playing a fast bit at the start. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D82xWeWjlvM&feature=related

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1337509099' post='1660997']
I was in a band with Kim (the accordionist) from Deaf Heights for several years. We did a fair chunk of the Cajun and Zydeco repertoire, plus Kim's own rather eccentric compositions. There were some fun gigs with that band, though the lineup changed that often that there were some patchy ones too. It did get me into listening to guys like Nathan Abshire and Clifton Chenier though, which is a good thing.
[/quote]

Good to hear. mate!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1337543796' post='1661776']
Yeah, the fluidity of the music is one of the things I enjoy, we just learn the song's parts then keep an eye on the singer/drummer to know when to change. We also seem to add in new sections and dynamics all the time on the fly and somehow get it sounding smooth.

Totally different to my other band that's very strict songs (though still very fun).

We tend to do our own take on it, rather than traditional numbers we play zydeco in a very ska style. We throw in a lot of popular songs as covers (in a zydeco way). Here's a live vid from Zydecozity that features all of us very drunk and me feeling very aware that someone's pointing a camera at me while I'm playing a fast bit at the start. :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D82xWeWjlvM&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Those wee button squeeze-boxes...wish i cd play 'em!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1337547289' post='1661876']
Those wee button squeeze-boxes...wish i cd play 'em!
[/quote]

Yeah, I've had a few goes at them but they're just odd and I'm not a big fan of the sound so I've never gone all in with one. There are a few players (Jim being one) that make them sound great though.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1337547480' post='1661884']
Yeah, I've had a few goes at them but they're just odd and I'm not a big fan of the sound so I've never gone all in with one. There are a few players (Jim being one) that make them sound great though.
[/quote]

For a 1 row like that think of it as a harmonica -tunings exactly the same.

The thing I always found weird with the one-row cajun boxes is that they've only got two chords in the left hand, one on the push and one on the pull, and players use them for rhythmic effect, so the "wrong" chord is sounding some of the time. It's part of the sound on lots of cajun stuff, but if you try to come up with a bass line by following the accordion, it makes no sense at all!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1337593212' post='1662316']
The thing I always found weird with the one-row cajun boxes is that they've only got two chords in the left hand, one on the push and one on the pull, and players use them for rhythmic effect, so the "wrong" chord is sounding some of the time. It's part of the sound on lots of cajun stuff, but if you try to come up with a bass line by following the accordion, it makes no sense at all!
[/quote]

That's why it's a godsend that most zydeco songs only have 2 or 3 notes in them then it's about getting into a groove and sticking with it! :D I *think* most 1 rows have 4 chords (2 buttons) though don't they? I know they're very restricted on keys, no fancy scales going on there. If you want different keys, you need more accordions!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1337604232' post='1662546']
That's why it's a godsend that most zydeco songs only have 2 or 3 notes in them then it's about getting into a groove and sticking with it! :D I *think* most 1 rows have 4 chords (2 buttons) though don't they? I know they're very restricted on keys, no fancy scales going on there. If you want different keys, you need more accordions!
[/quote]

No it is two chords only on a Cajun box, one on push, one on pull. One button plays the bass note, the other the chord so you can get that ump - pah effect (or um - pah - pah if you're in 3/4). You also play them in crossed position (like a blues harp) so on a box in C you actually play in G.

The final complication is that a true cajun box is not tuned in equal temperment like the frets on a bass. Depending on the tuner the third, fourth and seventh will be flattened by up to 15 cents. This is to make it sound sweeter when played cross style but means that if you play them straight they sound odd. However the good news is that most european boxes are tuned normally which makes life simpler.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1337667472' post='1663558']
No it is two chords only on a Cajun box, one on push, one on pull. One button plays the bass note, the other the chord so you can get that ump - pah effect (or um - pah - pah if you're in 3/4). You also play them in crossed position (like a blues harp) so on a box in C you actually play in G.

The final complication is that a true cajun box is not tuned in equal temperment like the frets on a bass. Depending on the tuner the third, fourth and seventh will be flattened by up to 15 cents. This is to make it sound sweeter when played cross style but means that if you play them straight they sound odd. However the good news is that most european boxes are tuned normally which makes life simpler.

Steve
[/quote]

I've often fancied getting Cajun box; remember looking at 'em on ebay a few years back. Any tips, Oggiesnr?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1337929611' post='1667457']
I've often fancied getting Cajun box; remember looking at 'em on ebay a few years back. Any tips, Oggiesnr?
[/quote]

Sorry to but in, but I'd recommend visiting [url="http://forum.melodeon.net"]http://forum.melodeon.net[/url] and picking the brains of the very experienced folk over there (as well as browsing the "for sale" section). [url="http://www.melodeons.com/"]Rees Wesson[/url] (username Rees) on that site builds one-row boxes to order, though there are cheaper mass-produced options available. Also check out [url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/"]The Music Room[/url] - great shop! [url="http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/melo-Melodeons-online-sales-page.htm"]Hobgoblin[/url] are highly recommended too, though I've not dealt with them myself. Conventional wisdom is that starting on a one-row is harder than starting on a two-row, but never having tried a one-row myself, I can't confirm or deny this. Boxes can vary a lot from individual instrument to instrument, rather more so than basses, so it's always best to try before you buy if at all possible. Hope this helps!

Edited by Earbrass

Agree pretty well with Earbrass with the important caveat that if you really want to play Cajun then you need a single row [i]cajun tuned box [/i]not all single row boxes are Cajun boxes even though they look the same. If you're interested in a wider range of music then a single row is a bit limiting and a two row is a better bet. Even here it gets confusing as there are two different tuning systems.

Irish players tend to play boxes witht he two rows tuned a semitone apart, so C/C# or B/C where the C row is the white notes on a piano and the other row the black. However as there are only eight bass chords they don't use that side of the box as much as the chords just aren't there for all keys.

The rest of us tend to play boxes tuned a fifth apart so D/G (the main english tuning), G/C or C/F (continental) or even Eb/Bb for those who play with brass instruments. It's also why most box players have multiple boxes because they need the different keys or the different sounds but that's a whole new ballgame.

Steve

PS be very careful about buying cheap, especially elderly, instruments on Ebay, rennovating a box can make a "cheap" box more expensive than a new one and it may still be an inferior instrument,