Why become a member? ×

Embarrasing NXT Question

NJE

I just got my hands on a stunning NXT 4 upright and have to say it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever owned. Great build and just a joy to play and I cant stop staring at it its so pretty.

Problem is, I have no I dea where I should be putting my fingers. Do I put my fingers between the dots or on them to get the correct note? Are the dots marking where a metal fret would theoretically be, or are they like the dots markers on a electric bass?

I am so embarassed I have to ask this question...

Edited by NJE

I'm the proud owner of an NXT 5 and I'm happy to confirm that the dots are where the notes are. The first three dots on the E string mark F, F#, G, and so on.

When in doubt, tune the bass with the open strings and then set the tuner to Chromatic, and then fret on the dots.

BRILLIANT! Thank you so much, I thought the dots marked the fretting position but the NS site made me question myself. My tuner is at the studio so had to use a friends iphone app to tune it so I wasnt sure how accurate myit was. When I fretted on the dots it was in tune with my precision but as it wasnt an accurate tune i couldnt be sure.

Its a wonderful instrument and I am sure I will be posting a lot more in thsi thread now, I have officially caught the bug.