Why become a member? ×

Power amp suggestions under £500

Jesso

Howdy.
Looking for a good power amp that can run 500 watts a side at 8 ohms.
It would be running my bass cab (either 2 x EBS neo112 cabs or something else) on one side, and a Dynacord passive Dlite 115 8 ohm sub on the other.
Ideally, nothing too heavy.
I've been looking at 2nd hand well known brands like Crown and Dynacord, but they are usually old and heavy, although no doubt very capable.
So.... I'm thinking technology has come on a long way... I know I'm happy enough with most D class amps that I've used for my bass. The advantages of buying a new under warrenty amp are tempting, and on Thomann there are any number of cheap powerful amps that don't necessarily have as good of a name as the established brands.
Does anyone have any experience with stuff like the Inuke or similar?
Any thoughts appreciated!

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1336944692' post='1653159']
Peavey IPR would be my choice. Cheap and powerful.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-ipr-3000-power-amplifier/26089"]http://www.gak.co.uk...amplifier/26089[/url]

Liam
[/quote]

Looks good. Peavey stuff is usually bulletproof. Nice and light that one too. Any other suggestions? Or any reason to stay oldschool and buy a tank of an amp that would have been £1000 ++ when first released vs a newer amp like the peavey?

Another lightweight-and-versatile would be the Crown XLS 'Drivecore' 2500. I have a 1500 which is a nice, solid bit of kit, so assume the 2500 would be likewise. Bought from these guys: http://www.sound4.co.uk/products/Crown-XLS-2500-DSP-Amplifier.html and found price / service to be good.

Is the Alto stuff available in Ireland? Then, I'd have a look at the APX1500 (or maybe APX1000). Had it's predecessor, the D-3, in my rack-days ;) Excellent switchmode poweramp, lightweight, and more than enough bottom end :)

Edited by ratking

There are plenty of cheap power amps out there but it's how they handle under load for a duration..... Gig at the weekend and the band I depped for had issues with the Peavey IPR running a load of 4ohms for the gig.... couldn't handle it very well

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1336988963' post='1653498']
There are plenty of cheap power amps out there but it's how they handle under load for a duration..... Gig at the weekend and the band I depped for had issues with the Peavey IPR running a load of 4ohms for the gig.... couldn't handle it very well
[/quote]

Good to know.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1336988616' post='1653491']
Despite their usual reputation, the Behringer iNuke range are pretty good! You can Bi-amp or bridge them too :)
[/quote]

Don't know if I'm quite ready to trust in a Behringer digital amp yet.... although the specs are outrageous for the money.

[quote name='ratking' timestamp='1336988478' post='1653488']
Is the Alto stuff available in Ireland? Then, I'd have a look at the APX1500 (or maybe APX1000). Had it's predecessor, the D-3, in my rack-days ;) Excellent switchmode poweramp, lightweight, and more than enough bottom end :)
[/quote]

Not that I know of.... never seen it anyways.

I've set up a deal on a second hand Crown XS 900. Got a reasonable price on it. It's not too heavy, oodles of power at 600 watts a side at 8 ohm, and it's a Crown so hopefully it should stand the test of time. Thanks all for the suggestions.