Why become a member? ×

Bloody punters

radansey

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1337334637' post='1658233']

Funnily enough, this is what I emailed to the 'victims' on Monday,
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[i]"[/i][i]With reference to XXXXX and your experiences yesterday morning, the only explanation that I can suggest is that this was most likely due to the acoustics/reflections within the church. It is probable that you were sitting at the focal-point of antinodes reflecting from the many sound-reflective surfaces which, unfortunately, unlike other musical parameters, is something that I have no control over. Churches are notorious in this respect.[/i][/font]
[i]I would suggest that this phenomenon is further supported by (1) my amplifier not directly facing your direction and (2) the piano acting as a sound-barrier between my amplifier and your position in the church, hence the only direct sound route would be off the internal surfaces. [/i][/font]
[i]Ross"[/i][/font]
[/quote]

Love it :lol:

I'd love to see there response to that more though!

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1337335337' post='1658262']
How many church-going bass players do we have on this forum? In my experience they're a rare breed.
[/quote]

More than expected! There's a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

You're right, they're rare, we have 4 sets of musicians on our rota, I'm the only bass player.

That's assuming that it was the bass guitar that was causing the 'bass' that was too loud.

Ideally at every gig you should have someone wander round the audience to listen to the sound from different places. It's obviously not always possible.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337341296' post='1658423']
More than expected! There's a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

You're right, they're rare, we have 4 sets of musicians on our rota, I'm the only bass player.
[/quote]

Any in Suffolk? Worrabout drummers?

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Church organists have long had to put up with this kind of thing. I think it goes with the territory. I'd be surprised if it was a genuine objection to electric guitar bands as has been suggested, considering that these are quite long in the tooth now.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]The impressively-named Marmaduke P. Conway, who was organist at Ely Cathedral before he retired offered this advice for organists in 1949, which I hope helps the OP:[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif][i]The organist...will do well to cultivate a rhinoceros-like “thickness of skin”. He will almost certainly find his work objected to by somebody, whatever methods he adopts. He will do wisely to take note of the likes and dislikes of his vicar or minister, and to allow for them to some extent in his work and choice of music; but if he allows himself to be influenced by the opinions of all those who are only too ready to express them, he will find his life a sorry burden. As in everything else, a man's competence for his job, and the right personality, are his best safeguards against irresponsible or unjust criticism.[/i][/font]