Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need help from a speaker guru

clauster

We've got a pair of Turbosound TL1561s. A three way cab with two passive crossovers.

One of them has started emitting a crackling noise from the compression driver. Tried swapping speakon cables, amp channels, desk, everything. It's definitely the compression driver in that particular cab. Ordered a new comp driver - same problem.

Could it be the crossover? Am I missing something?

Edited by clauster

Took matters into my own hands and dismantled enough to get to the crossover. Had a lamp in there acting as a limiter, this had blown and the driver was overloading.

Rang Turbosound and they're sending a couple of replacements FOC.

At least if it happens at gig levels we've now got a replacement driver handy too.

[quote name='clauster' post='179249' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:37 PM']Took matters into my own hands and dismantled enough to get to the crossover. Had a lamp in there acting as a limiter, this had blown and the driver was overloading.

Rang Turbosound and they're sending a couple of replacements FOC.

At least if it happens at gig levels we've now got a replacement driver handy too.[/quote]
Very impressive! That's much more technical prowess than I could ever muster Nick! Hope all's well otherwise....

All's great thanks Nick! Hope the same is for you.

It's not as impressively technical as it sounds - the crossover's just three resisitors, two capacitors, said lamp and a choke on a pcb. Not much to check really. The motivation really kicked in when the singer (who was helping me at the time) said, "A new cab is just under a grand, that's less than £200 each" Any £200 I've got spare is going in my Omni 10.5 fund :)

PS Hoping to come and se you guys again at the Elms next month.

Never mind spare drivers, I'd get yourself some spare lamps as well. If they can go once....

Turbo used to use caravan tail lamps (21W festoon bulbs). I'm not sure if they're the same now.

I used to buy handfuls of them from Lucas as we had loads of Turbosound stuff where I used to work. I reckon that would be cheaper than getting them from the manufacturer?

It used to be a pain replacing them all the time (system was underpowered so regularly overdriven) but a lot better to replace them than drivers all the time.

You could probably go and collec t the bulbs from where you are. Turbo are only in Partridge Green near Worthing!

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read and saw you got them free of charge. Bonus!

Edited by Huge Hands

Thanks HH -

They had changed the bulbs for this one t M89s - 50w 24v halogen. Found somewhere on line to buy them (£10 for 3), so we're going to get a few more just to be on the safe side.

Until 6 months ago I lived in Southwater, just 5 miles from Partridge Green.

[quote name='clauster' post='180001' date='Apr 18 2008, 05:46 PM']Lived there 10 years ago - lovely place (and great pubs)[/quote]
Hi Nick,

It'd be good to see you next month if you guys can make it! And i'm even more impressed by your motivation for fixing the speaker now!!!

Nik