Why become a member? ×

which Preamp to Buy?!?!?! Fishman.

[b] [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Fishman B-II Bass Preamp[/size][/font][/b]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]or[/font]

[b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Bass[/size][/font][/b]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]These are the two Preamps I have been looking at. which on do i get? whats the beifits of the 2nd one (the more expensive one) [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]let me know what you think please.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Pete [/font]

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1336061758' post='1640365']
Platinum pro is fab, never used the other but if it doesn't have phase cancellation it would be a far inferior buy in my view.
[/quote]

+1 one. Ive tried both and much prefer the platinum. Great sounding pre. The other didn't seem to really add anything.

Sure, it seems to. The EQ allows you to adjust your tone, but I tend not to use it too much. The unit provides a hot enough signal for my uses: on doubling gigs, I use my upright through the fishman into the effects return of my amp, and then my electric into the regular input - a combination of the gain and volume controls on the preamp allows me to bring the acoustic up to a similar level with the electric, and then I can switch quickly just by pulling one cable out and popping another in. Minimum fuss!

As already mentioned by Jake, the phase switch is really useful, but my personal favourite aspect is the depth knob - my bass can get a little boomy in some rooms, and having an adjustable HPF helps combat that flexibly.

It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles like some other pres, but it's got everything I want and it fits in my gig bag.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1336065646' post='1640459']
Sure, it seems to. The EQ allows you to adjust your tone, but I tend not to use it too much. The unit provides a hot enough signal for my uses: on doubling gigs, I use my upright through the fishman into the effects return of my amp, and then my electric into the regular input - a combination of the gain and volume controls on the preamp allows me to bring the acoustic up to a similar level with the electric, and then I can switch quickly just by pulling one cable out and popping another in. Minimum fuss!

As already mentioned by Jake, the phase switch is really useful, but my personal favourite aspect is the depth knob - my bass can get a little boomy in some rooms, and having an adjustable HPF helps combat that flexibly.

It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles like some other pres, but it's got everything I want and it fits in my gig bag.
[/quote]
so does it cut through drums and stuff like that? just worried about it being the right buy. there is a definate boost in volume then? anything you can say about it? thanks

No, if you look at the pictures it doesn't have any sharp edges.

But seriously, cutting through depends more on your bass, setup and drummer - I don't find the plat pro colours my tone especially unless I use the EQ. A boost in volume vs. direct into an amp without the pre? No idea, I've not A/B'd it like that.

fellow BC'er mr Bassman very kindly let me borrow his Plat-pro but i didn't really get on with it very much & prefer to use a Boss bass eq pedal instead.
both do boost the signal strenght as both have an output volume control but if boosted too much then feedback becomes a major problem.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1336129025' post='1641270']
fellow BC'er mr Bassman very kindly let me borrow his Plat-pro but i didn't really get on with it very much & prefer to use a Boss bass eq pedal instead.
both do boost the signal strenght as both have an output volume control but if boosted too much then feedback becomes a major problem.
[/quote]

i have just bought a markbass minimark to combat the feedback.