Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Replacement 10" Celestions

NoirBass

I have a Trace cab with two C1016 100W 16Ohm speakers in it. They are farting badly, even at low volumes.

I can't see any obvious tears or holes in the cones and think I might just replace them if I can do it reasonably cheaply.

Having done a quick Google search I can find no Trace (excuse the pun) of them.

I have found these as a potential replacement:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/celestion_bl10_100_16_ohms.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...100_16_ohms.htm[/url]

Does anyone know if they would do the job, or of any others that might be a goer.

As usual, thanks in advance for you responses.

Edited by NoirBass

Hello NoirBass,

They originals seem to be obolete. The Thomann selection might be OK from the point of view of impedance matching. They're not the toughest speaker out there, but at that price there's no doubting their value.

Are you happy with just 200 watts handling power? It might be possible to upgrade to something a bit more robust, at a cost of course. To advise on alternatives we need to know the approximate internal dimensions of the Trace cabinet, whether it has a port and your potential budget.

If you just want to replace the C1016's go to the Celestion web-site and drop them a line via "Contact Us". They can advise you on a modern equivalent.

Balcro

Thanks Balcro,

I have emailed Celestion and I'll post the results for future reference.

The cab is a 2103x, so with the two 5" speakers the full power handling will be 300W, which I am entirely happy with (I only have 500Watts @ 4 Ohms to power it). The cab has two front ports and is the standard Trace size.

Might be worth a punt on the Thomann speakers as they are so cheap.

Noir

Hello NoirBass

Having looked at the layout on the OZ forum I don't think it would be a good idea to suggest any alternative as a replacement. That's because of potential mismatches in efficiency between the bass units and the 5" mid-hi units. The "Thomann" Celestion may well match up well to work with the 5" mid-hi units, but it's not certain. You could end up with an unbalanced system.

I assume you have the same tweeter level control on the back of the cabinet as in the OZ forum pictures.

I would wait for the reply from Celestion. If their reply is prompt and definite, fine. If not come back here after that. Hmm, that Thomann deal does look good. That's half the price on some English web-sites.

Balcro.

So, I have been chatting to the Celestion guy today (who, to my surprise has been very helpful. a big thanks to him!) and here is his response:

[i] It sounds like it could be an amplifier problem so it might be worth trying your speakers with another amp or trying your amp with other speakers to confirm if it is ok or not. If you find it is the speakers the BL10-200S 16ohm would be good replacement with a bit more bottom end.[/i]

[i]Regards[/i]
[i]The Doc[/i]

I've tested the amp and its fine with other cabs and I've tried the speaker with a different amp and still get the distortion.

eBay seems the cheapest for the speakers they're about £40 each. A bit more than the Thomann ones. They are a bit more powerful (200W) and are what Celestion recommend - who am I to argue?

Hope this helps someone else out too.

Noir

Just to conclude this thread,

The new Celestions arrived this morning.

I ended up getting them from here:

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/

as they were about £60 inc delivery.

I've installed them, and hey presto a fantastic sounding cab!

Really chuffed this has worked, as I was starting to think it might be the crossover.

If anyone else has this problem these are the drivers to go for.

Thanks again to Balcro for his very sensible suggestion.

I'm of to go and play it.

Noir