Why become a member? ×

American Deluxe P - Bass . How close to an AM , Standard sound ??

mike 110

Hi Mike

I have an American Deluxe P, its a 2007 model and is one of the last with the humbucker(double jazz pickup) on the bridge. I can tell you they are great basses! You can get almost any tone out of it. As for the classic P sound, I would say it is 90-95% there, at least in comparison to a modern American P. It's kind of like a suped up P bass, it has a bit more punch. If you want that P sound, and nothing else, get a standard P bass and maybe save yourself a few quid. If you value the variety I would go for the deluxe!

Good luck

Yes, what jay said really.

My one, that you can see over to the left is a superb instrument but I mostly just use the p pick up because it sounds like a p bass then and that's what I like :)

I've never been convinced about additional pick ups on P basses. the blurb in the ads will say something along the lines of "the best of both worlds, dial in the bridge pup and it will sound like a jazz or switch to the front and it's a P." Thing is for me, it doesn't. A jazz sounds like a jazz in part because of the TWO jazz pups.
Yes it adds something but it doesn't sound like a jazz to me.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1335940356' post='1638230']
Yes, what jay said really.

My one, that you can see over to the left is a superb instrument but I mostly just use the p pick up because it sounds like a p bass then and that's what I like :)

I've never been convinced about additional pick ups on P basses. the blurb in the ads will say something along the lines of "the best of both worlds, dial in the bridge pup and it will sound like a jazz or switch to the front and it's a P." Thing is for me, it doesn't. A jazz sounds like a jazz in part because of the TWO jazz pups.
Yes it adds something but it doesn't sound like a jazz to me.
[/quote]

Agree 100% if you want a Jazz sound by a jazz, the precision is a growl bass if you buy a genuine, not many copies have the growl, it is a full on mix filling sound and suited to live, the extra pick up only serves to thin the sound, I have had a super precision and very soon you just leave it on the normal pick up all the time as they sound so full, but then again so does a jazz with both picks on so the double pickup precision is a real odd ball and fits nothing rather than fits all solution, perhaps they should have put a music man pick in instead of a jazz.