Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: Gibson Thunderbird IV (Custom)

lamp

Hi all,

I have a Custom Gibson Thunderbird IV that I'm looking to preferably sell outright, but will also consider trades. £975 ono.

It's quite a unique beast - all black finish, pearloid binding on the body and headstock, custom inlays, the pickguard looks after-market to me - but not sure. The pickups aren't standard Thunderbird territory either, I find the tone to be much closer to a beefed-up jazz bass, or a Ripper - although still with that distinctive Thunderbird flavour. I'll try to get some samples posted up.

I don't know a great deal about it - whether it came from the Gibson Custom Shop, or has simply been tricked out by a previous owner. It was sold to me by Wunjo Guitars in London's Denmark Street as Custom Shop instument though.

There is some minor cosmetic wear and tear. A few dings (shown in pictures), the volume pot is chipped and there's some beltrash on the back. The case isn't in great shape - the previous owner has clearly put it through its paces. I've only had it since the beginning of this year, but I believe the build year is early 2000's. For anyone who knows a bit more about Thunderbirds than me, it's production number is: 92436732 (as best I can read!)

All-in-all a very cool, bass. The only reason I'm parting with it is that it just doesn't really fit with what my band is doing and it seems a shame to keep it locked away in it's case!

Happy to answer any queries both in-thread or via Private Message. I'm afraid I can't ship this item due to the weight of the case, but am willing to meet in and around West London, providing there's a tube stop handy!

Looking at the Gibson website support, that serial number seems to indicate 2006?
Anyone got any more info on this very unusual bit of kit?
What makes you think they're not Gibson pickups? They certainly look similar.
Steve

Edited by Steve Spector

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]92436732 = [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]August 30th [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1996, production number 432 out of Nashville, TN.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Edit: whoops, leap year.[/font][/color]

Edited by neepheid

Hi - they're Gibson pickups alright, but what I said was that they simply don't sound quite like regular T-bird pickups. As its a seemingly custom job, I'd be inclined to believe that was part of the customer's specs, rather than an aftermarket addition.

Thanks for the interest!

Edited by lamp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...