Why become a member? ×

All hail Gorgomyte!

NJE

I picked up my Stingray last week in the cold light of day (usually only comes out at night) and realised the frets were looking a bit sad and green around the edges and the rosewood board had accumulated a bit of gunk.

I had a look around on the internet to see the best way of cleaning frets, and was getting my head around taping the board off and using wire wool. Then I found a post about Gorgomyte so I went on the website and had a read. It all sounded a bit too good to be true but, some youtube videos helped convince me it was worth a try.

So I placed the order 5 days ago and it arrived all the way from the US of A this morning and I immediately set about stripping the strings off the stingray. Long story story short this stuff is incredibly good, just a small piece of the impregnated cloth needed and a quick wipe all along the neck then some harder rubbing on the frets.

What came off was amazing, and when I buffed the frets and board with a bit of old t-shirt the whole neck was gleaming but no funny residue, no funny smells, just shiny new frets and healthy looking rosewood.

I highly recommend everyone getting some and just giving your neck a good clean when you next change your strings. Its made it feel lovely under hand when playing and given the bass a new lease of life, definately worth doing if the bass hasnt had a

Best bit is, its cheap! I bought 3 packs for £27 including delivery. What I didnt realise was you only need a tiny square to do one neck and one sheet will do the bass about 20 times. I probably have enough to cover all 4 of my guitars for the next 10 years, may even offer to do some friends guitars I have so much.

Go get some....

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1335634248' post='1634100']

Yes, all hail the Gorgonites... oh hang on... doesn't matter.
[/quote]

I thought of the exact same thing when I found it, quite liked that film.....

I must confess, I didn't get along with it quite so well when I tried it. Whilst the frets did come up good and shiny, the rosewood was back to looking dry very quickly (within a week), and whilst I admit it doesn't make the board smell in a lasting way, I had to find an air-tight pot for the unused cloth to stop it stinking the room out. I'd be up for it as fret polish if it came in a bottle and I could throw away the used rags, but nah.. I'll pass.