Why become a member? ×

Sand the Neck or Pocket?

yepmop

Hi All

I'm embarking on my first bass build and today I received my all maple neck (Dr Parts) to go onto a Squire P bass body. the only problem I have at the mo, is that the neck is about 1mm to wide for the neck pocket.

Looking around the net there seems to be a split decision on whether to sand the pocket or sand the neck.

My logic (be it a bit misguided) tells me to do the neck (but only the part that goes into the pocket), would this be right?

Has anyone out there had a similar issue? if so, any advise?

Any help/advise appreciated

Thanks

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335490792' post='1632206']
Is the neck new and the body s/h? Prob go for the body. Bear in mind you don't want to allow the neck to go wonky, use a block to sand, or a file so it stays flat. Fill the bridge holes and re-align the bridge when the neck is on.
[/quote]
Yes the neck is new and the body s/h,

Looks like it's the neck pocket then, I'll count the sand strokes each side and regularly check to see when it slots in.

Many thanks for your advice Al Heeley & Mr Foxen much appreciated.

As an update I sanded the pocket and had to also do a litlle chiselling around the corners of the pocket as the neck heel did not quite reach home.
Not a bad job all in all I have about a quater/half a MM movement on the neck in the pocket when I attach the neck (but not bolted on), I'm hoping this will be okay once the neck is bolted on, I may as insurance put a peice of business card down one side as a shim to make it more sucure.

Have got all my other bits to proceed with the built so may start over the weekend.

Thanks for all the advice

Tony

• 2 weeks later...