Why become a member? ×

Everything blown? A surge?

gapiro

Hmm
BEen doing a show this week, first night tonight and halfway through first song. pop. no bass.

Found that the passive parts of my pre amp working ok, got nothing coming out of active( got an East SP2 inside a Lakland 55-01)

When I have pedal attached to the cable chain, I get huge whiney noises above about half volume on it.

When I have the bass straight into amp, I get lots of interferance ( and somehow the speaker cable jack socket seems to have come a bit loose....)

Any ideas? I assume it must be a surge to be all at once, but RCd didn't go out ...

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1335392525' post='1630546']
Any ideas? I assume it must be a surge to be all at once, but RCd didn't go out ...
[/quote]

Nope.
A surge isn't going to make speaker sockets come loose. :)

Sounds to me as though you've blown your amp mate. :(

Active preamp in your bass is pretty independent from the amps power supply, unless the amp dumped some inappropriate voltage into the input, which should have blown some fuses pretty soon. I'd guess there might be an internal fuse that will show up gone in the amp. The loose output jack might be a cause rather than a result.

Indeed I know the output jack is a mechanical not electrical failure. Could a loose jack really blow an amp?
I guess I won't know until Sunday at best when I get a chance to open up guitar and amp. Time to play follow the circuit !
It did seem to me that some reason of a reverse current going to the guitar looked a good possibility for failure but I would have thought that the pedal would have stopped it going all the way to the bass

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1335422925' post='1630695']
Could a loose jack really blow an amp?
[/quote]

Yep.
I forget who it was now, but there was a thread on here last week where someone had done exactly that to a Hartke head.
Fortunately, the repair wasn't too expensive (a few power transistors IIRC).

So, heres a question for you to answer
I blew this at a free paid gig (my friends a music student and they needed a bassist)
Should I be pursuing them for money if it costs me a few hundred quid to repair? There is one show left tomorrow night and i'm using a practise amp.
I'm going to open up the amp and look at it tomorrow.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1335565832' post='1633350']
So, heres a question for you to answer
I blew this at a free paid gig (my friends a music student and they needed a bassist)
Should I be pursuing them for money if it costs me a few hundred quid to repair? There is one show left tomorrow night and i'm using a practise amp.
I'm going to open up the amp and look at it tomorrow.
[/quote]

There's nothing they've done to have caused the damage.
The 'reboot' could be thermally triggered but, given what you've said about the speaker socket, I'd be more inclined to suspect that the socket is causing a 'short' which is triggering the shutdown protection circuitry.

This is all conjecture though, you need to get an amp tech to take a look at it.

To bring this up again.
Took the case off the amp.
Turns out that the amp seems to be in working order, however there is a ribbon cable that connects the front board ( the eq etc) to the main board. Wigglign that around causes intermittant functionality but full functionality.
Going to seef if there there a dry joint!