Why become a member? ×

No Pickguard, 'Marcus' Style Cover...String Noise?

AndyTravis

Hi guys, just bought 2 Chrome pickup covers for my two J-Style basses.

I had a MM Jazz years ago, and just really got used to them, and have fitted covers to everything Fender styled since; I fully understand that these covers are an aquired taste...

One has a Pickguard, and as expected the Chrome cover fits wonderfully.

The problem is my fretted one has no Pickguard, isn't drilled for one and I'd like to keep it that way.

The strings are resting against the cover on this bass...I was pondering on my options, and wondered what the concencus was.

1. Shave the neck heel; effectively lowering the neck down to accommodate the cover - bothered this may be the most stupid option.

2. Use Pickguard material between the point of contact - I'm sure Gibson did this under the covers seen on Thunderbirds in the 60's to accommodate for the central raised area - if so, does anyone know of a manafacturer on eBay or similar so I don't have to make them myself (and get a cleaner look)?

3. Get a clear Pickguard made? I'd really rathe avoid this if possible...

I've already made some crude spacers with some scraps of wood, and shaping them won't be hard...but I just fancied asking what you lot would do while I wait for 'The Shining' to come on...

Interested to hear your thoughts...

Trav x

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1335308199' post='1629233']
Hi guys, just bought 2 Chrome pickup covers for my two J-Style basses.

I had a MM Jazz years ago, and just really got used to them, and have fitted covers to everything Fender styled since; I fully understand that these covers are an aquired taste...

One has a Pickguard, and as expected the Chrome cover fits wonderfully.

The problem is my fretted one has no Pickguard, isn't drilled for one and I'd like to keep it that way.

The strings are resting against the cover on this bass...I was pondering on my options, and wondered what the concencus was.

1. Shave the neck heel; effectively lowering the neck down to accommodate the cover - bothered this may be the most stupid option.

2. Use Pickguard material between the point of contact - I'm sure Gibson did this under the covers seen on Thunderbirds in the 60's to accommodate for the central raised area - if so, does anyone know of a manafacturer on eBay or similar so I don't have to make them myself (and get a cleaner look)?

3. Get a clear Pickguard made? I'd really rathe avoid this if possible...

I've already made some crude spacers with some scraps of wood, and shaping them won't be hard...but I just fancied asking what you lot would do while I wait for 'The Shining' to come on...

Interested to hear your thoughts...

Trav x
[/quote]

1- is daft, it's going to mess up your break angles at the bridge
2- works
3- works but not as good.

4- could you make a better cover yourself with a bit of metal (or get someone too)? or do the atelier z (?) basses not use covers with no pick guard?