Why become a member? ×

Non root bass chord voicings.

TimR

I'm struggling a bit and hoping someone can describe this a bit better for me.

We play a few tunes where the guitarists won't play the correct chord voicings. In most cases they've downloaded something from ultimate tab or wherever and aren't using their ears and comparing the tab go the original tune.

I know that Bb/D is just the first inversion and can explain that to them but any ideas how to get them not to play the bottom Bb on a Bb/C. Is there a better musical term other than Bb with a C bass.

Should I just break their fingers everytime they play the wrong chord?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1335120795' post='1626065']
[/quote]

Yes.

Sorry, couldn't resist, and don't know what you should do ... besides the finger thing.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1335120795' post='1626065']
I'm struggling a bit and hoping someone can describe this a bit better for me.

We play a few tunes where the guitarists won't play the correct chord voicings. In most cases they've downloaded something from ultimate tab or wherever and aren't using their ears and comparing the tab go the original tune.

I know that Bb/D is just the first inversion and can explain that to them but any ideas how to get them not to play the bottom Bb on a Bb/C. Is there a better musical term other than Bb with a C bass.

[/quote]

This really depends on your band set up & whether the guitars playing by itself or your playing at the same time.

If your both playing, you're in charge of the inversions, so they don't have to worry [i]too [/i]much about the inversion.

There's other ways of explaining them if you know your theory and know the a different name of a chord for the notes in question. (that makes sense in my head but might not come across clearly)

Theres no simpler way then saying as its written though, Bb over D will be simplest by saying Bb with a D in the bass, unless they're clued up on their theory. But i guess they're not otherwise you wouldn't be in this situation.

That's as I suspected then. It's not as big a problem as I'm making out really.

The inversions are usually fine although in one tune we have an E/G# inversion which sounds pretty bad as one guitarist plays a big open E power chord on it and it tears my ears apart when I play G#. Just sounds completely at odds, I've asked him not to do it and he tries but he's learned it that way now so it's something I'll try to live with.

Mainly it's when they do a C to a Bb/C type movement and I think there is something missing. I'll sit on the C but as they've moved down from a C to a Bb the top end movement 'sounds' wrong and awkward.

Well it gets even better. I talked to them the other night. They were playing a G/C. That could be why my Bb sounds so bad.

They tried the Bb/C and one of them said he couldn't hear the change of chord if we played it like that. I said that you would hear it when the singer sang because the guitars are just supposed to support the singer and not always play everything. When we added vocals it all worked fine.

I'm suprised that I'm still surprised by guitarists who think they're the only instrument playing :(