Why become a member? ×

Low end buzz/fart from Peavey Pro 15 speaker

Netballman

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice and opinions! Just bought a pair of old Peavey Pro 15s as part of a band PA upgrade project. On getting them home I tried playing a CD through them at household volumes and they sounded fine (if a bit boomy, but they were on the floor!). However when finally getting a chance to turn up and see what they could do, I heard a fairly nasty buzzy farty noise on the low notes (again off a commercial CD) at at levels well below what I thought they should be capable of turning out. A little closer review showed that it was just one speaker which was doing this from moderate volumes, and the other was fine at considerably higher levels. I tried swapping the channels and it is definitely the speaker.

Question is - I presume it is damaged in some way, but how should I approach the chap I just got them from? He seemed a straightforward chap (fortunately quite local) and said they'd come from a church PA, never been strongly driven, but had been stored in a garage for some months. I paid £150 for the pair. I'm a numpty with anything technical, but should I be looking to hand them back, get a partial refund and repair, or what? And what is the most likely cause and cost to fix, do you reckon?

Any advice gratefully received before he comes over to have a review...

Andy

It sounds to me as if the speaker has blown. If you like the speakers then spares can be found here, http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/search/?keywords=Peavey+Pro+15+speaker.
Whether you think it's worth it or not and whether you can get a partial refund from the seller to cover the cost of repair is up to you. Me, I would ask for my money back.

Had the Black Widow 15 on my Peavey bass combo fail, farty noises was correct description. Being 25+ yrs old the glue that held the cone to the frame had failed. You might get lucky and find that this is the same problem. Copydex, care, clamps and a wood batten are your friends.