Why become a member? ×

Matching a Euphonic Audio head with Aguilar DB112NT

attackbass

I own an EA micro head and an Aguilar DB112NT 1x12 cab which I use for smaller gigs and recordings and sessions when I don't need my full rig.

Today I was doing some recording in the studio and I noticed that on the E string the lower notes were starting to break up and distort - the preamp was not clipping. I tried different basses, different levels of volume and it still happened. I then put an EBS multicomp infront of it and that helped with it - the more the compression the less the distortion.

I've played the EA head through my Orange 8x10 and it is fine and I have used my Orange AD200B through the Aguilar when re-amping some bass lines and that was also fine.

Do you think it possible that there is some sort of mismatch between the cab and the head. The power handling and ohms is fine but maybe the aguilar cab isn't efficient enough for the EA head or the way the head is Voiced?

I have seen people comment about the amount of low end these heads have but the head was set flat.. so I'm altogether sure what is causing it.

Anyone any Ideas!?

Strange as I've pushed a lot of watts through a single on of my DBs and no break up from the driver. I know it sounds daft but was the actual connection/coupling as secure when swapping between the amps and cabs? One thing that I would say is that I've had experience of amps that have indicators (LEDs etc) that showed everything fine but I could hear clipping and turning down the bass/input/output etc. sorted it out (I've also known amps that 'indicated' clipping or reaching limit of meter and in fact they were miles from any point of clipping)... so I wouldn't necessarily trust any VU meter or clip lights as much as I'd trust my ears.