Why become a member? ×

Ampeg BA210 Bass Amplifier

jammie17

Well, just got my new Ampeg BA210 amp. This one is the first "Made in China" Ampeg that I have owned. I have owned the exact same model previously, but a "Made in USA" unit. I see no difference in quality. See the pictures. I have an SVT CL/810 rig...but, it's not really portable...:) so I got this unit for its power..220 watts rms..and its relativly small size, albeit, heavy weight..86 lbs. The amp kicks AZZ...very powerfull and bassy for such a small unit. It is rear ported and has 2 10' speakers. Fully lined inside with absorbant material.

The built in tuner is a plus also. Basic controls. Balenced line out for recording/live playing into the board. It sits right next to my SVT rig. Sound difference is..it's more "Boomie" than the SVT at the same volume...of course the SVT has a huge wall of sound..but the BA210 has a good output for what it is also. Very impressive amp. It has a horn and is controled by a volume pad on the back of the amp. Deffinetly gives my Spector some zing...

I paid 549.00 brand new for this amp...and it's worth every penny to me. There has been some concern about Ampegs manufacturing going overseas....and if this is any indication...there is nothing to worry about. A solidly built, resonably priced, great performing amplifier.

Edited by jammie17

Interesting review there! I have the BA115HP which is effectively the 15" version of yours and the sound is great, although I find the horn a little hissy on full. I don't know if mine is made in China but I'm going to look when I get home. I use mine much the same as yours, when I can't be bothered to shift my SVT4PRO and 610HLF. It's still a heavy beast for what is effectively a small combo.

I find that even for a solid state amp, a very good approximation of the classic Ampeg sound can still be dialled in although I struggle with the input gain as there's no real level indicator nor any noticeable change in sound bar volume levels - what do you think?

[quote name='Muppet' post='18408' date='Jun 15 2007, 03:49 PM']Interesting review there! I have the BA115HP which is effectively the 15" version of yours and the sound is great, although I find the horn a little hissy on full. I don't know if mine is made in China but I'm going to look when I get home. I use mine much the same as yours, when I can't be bothered to shift my SVT4PRO and 610HLF. It's still a heavy beast for what is effectively a small combo.

I find that even for a solid state amp, a very good approximation of the classic Ampeg sound can still be dialled in although [b]I struggle with the input gain as there's no real level indicator nor any noticeable change in sound bar volume levels - what do you think?[/b][/quote]

Good point. I play active basses...and the input (gain) control is very important to me...especialy with my Spector, as it runs a high output...I usualy play with the gain at or around 3...gives a good clear tone. And you are right. This lil amp has a well rounded tone to it. I have never heard the signal 15. I would bet it is a bit more full than mine.

Hi Jammie,
Just to clarify for those who may not know where you live: is that $549 or £549? I'm guessing dollars, but I have no idea about prices.

How about a picture of Kenai sitting next to it? Just for scale, you understand. It's not that I'm into dogs or anything. Oh no. :)

Edited by Oxblood

[quote name='Oxblood' post='18531' date='Jun 15 2007, 07:10 PM']Hi Jammie,
Just to clarify for those who may not know where you live: is that $549 or £549? I'm guessing dollars, but I have no idea about prices.

[b]How about a picture of Kenai sitting next to it[/b]? Just for scale, you understand. It's not that I'm into dogs or anything. Oh no. :)[/quote]

Kenai is no longer with us. He went back to the adoption agency....he kept on jumping up on my wife and nipping at her. Tore her shirt one day..and that was it.

And, yes...dollars.