Why become a member? ×

little finger joint swelling

JayPH

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1335303153' post='1629135']
Did he give you any idea how long to rest it for?
[/quote]

Nope, he said if it doesn't get any better to come back, but didn't say when. I have gone for an arbitrary month. (My doctor is famously quite useless)
Have been using my powerball and phils elastic band technique without any excess pain, so I think that may be the way forward.

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1335306926' post='1629214']
I know this isn't something you'll want to hear necessarily but a guitarist friend of mine damaged the tendons in his left pinky when he dislocated it. It's absolutely knackered for the time being, and has been told to expect 3 months off playing guitar at least.

Tendons are a nasty thing to bugger - had my arm forceably hyperextended and did a few tendons in my right arm and it's taken months (with physio) to get it back to normal. I know it's absolutely balls but a decent length rest now, while crap, might avoid this becoming chronic.
[/quote]

thanks mate. I hope I've caught it in time. I would be absolutely gutted if its a more permanent thing.
[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1335343194' post='1629415']
Nope, he said if it doesn't get any better to come back, but didn't say when. I have gone for an arbitrary month. (My doctor is famously quite useless)
Have been using my powerball and phils elastic band technique without any excess pain, so I think that may be the way forward.
[/quote]
Month sounds reasonable yet soooooo long. Doesnt your joint swell when you do the band exercises?

[quote name='Lewk' timestamp='1335259130' post='1627946']
cut your hands off and replace them with victor wootens?
[/quote]

Your use of grammar has allowed me to envisage the OP with the body and soul of Victor Wooten as a pair of replacement appendages. Why just have his hands, when you could have the man... on each hand?

You'd get some quite amazing [i]wrist dive[/i], however, having a top quality bass player as a hand replacement; though leaving you with some excellent tonal options :lol:

Better than my [i]dildo hands[/i] suggestion. Though that would still work for drummers. And probably improve their table manners.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335364058' post='1629903']
Your use of grammar has allowed me to envisage the OP with the body and soul of Victor Wooten as a pair of replacement appendages. Why just have his hands, when you could have the man... on each hand?

You'd get some quite amazing [i]wrist dive[/i], however, having a top quality bass player as a hand replacement; though leaving you with some excellent tonal options :lol:

Better than my [i]dildo hands[/i] suggestion. Though that would still work for drummers. And probably improve their table manners.
[/quote]

:lol:

How would the wrists attach to the Wootens'? I don't like the obvious solution

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1335363433' post='1629880']
thanks mate. I hope I've caught it in time. I would be absolutely gutted if its a more permanent thing.

Month sounds reasonable yet soooooo long. Doesnt your joint swell when you do the band exercises?
[/quote]

Hasn't swollen at all for the whole thing. Very weird.
And exercises have left me with claws today, so may have been a bad idea. :(

I have found new stuff about ulnar nerve compression which i think might be the cause of all my troubles, different (and less finger murdering) exercises will ensue...
It still makes me chuckle that i can play 90% of my usual bass stuff with 3 fingers and thus can still gig. :)
Shame I can't play guitar with 3 fingers, it is making me sad. :(

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1335430235' post='1630812']
I have found new stuff about ulnar nerve compression which i think might be the cause of all my troubles, different (and less finger murdering) exercises will ensue...
It still makes me chuckle that i can play 90% of my usual bass stuff with 3 fingers and thus can still gig. :)
Shame I can't play guitar with 3 fingers, it is making me sad. :(
[/quote]

Hmm the plot thickens. Even if i dont use the little finger it still swells. Had 4 day break then played a couple of days lightly and swollen again. No pain anymore but i'm going to have to give it 2 weeks no playing at all and see how it is. Off to google ulnar nerve compression :)