Why become a member? ×

westone in the house !

ahpook

arrived this afternoon - a lovely westone concord (sorry for the ropey pic - it's raining, so i couldn't take anything outside)

bought this from t'bay last sunday as a birthday present to myself - i was surprised i was the only bidder, even tho it's a bit tarnished.

looks 100% original, even perhaps the strings which were actually green - made me feel a bit pukey playing it ! so a brand new set of status strings went on, action lowered by a mile (may need truss rod work, but i'm waiting a day or two for that)

sounds lovely - very p-bass. a bit neck-heavy, but so was my old westone thunder iirc.

i may need to replace the bridge, as the allen bolts are so gunky they're hard to use. be a shame tho

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1334346595' post='1615068']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300691221739?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570.l2736%26_nkw%3D300691221739%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1"]here's [/url]the ebay auction for some better pics !
[/quote]

It was that one - nice!

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1334348562' post='1615119']
thanks

i'm in two minds about the bridge - get a beefier one to help with the weight of the neck, or keep it old skool.
[/quote]

I swapped the original out for a [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARD-TAIL-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-THROUGH-BRIDGE-CHROME-/190584089110"]cheap Gotoh copy from eBay[/url] & it was a big improvement - perfect fit & much more solid.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1334350138' post='1615155']
I swapped the original out for a [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARD-TAIL-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-THROUGH-BRIDGE-CHROME-/190584089110"]cheap Gotoh copy from eBay[/url] & it was a big improvement - perfect fit & much more solid.
[/quote]

i was wondering about a gotoh - i've got one on another of my basses and like them a lot, but they are pricey...so thanks for the tip.

now...black or silver ?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1334350795' post='1615163']
i was wondering about a gotoh - i've got one on another of my basses and like them a lot, but they are pricey...so thanks for the tip.

now...black or silver ?
[/quote]

The chrome one looks good on mine. If you're into black then it would be worth having a 3-ply scratchplate made up - I did & it looks great!

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1334352865' post='1615201']
The chrome one looks good on mine. If you're into black then it would be worth having a 3-ply scratchplate made up - I did & it looks great!
[/quote]

just what i was thinking :) where did you get your scratchplate made ?

btw - that link you posted - is that the exact model you bought ? i'm after the dimensions and hole spacing. thanks.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1334355244' post='1615246']
just what i was thinking :) where did you get your scratchplate made ?

btw - that link you posted - is that the exact model you bought ? i'm after the dimensions and hole spacing. thanks.
[/quote]

I'd drop the Bass Doc a PM about the plate - he made me one recently for another bass & it's great!

That was the bridge I bought - I think it's a copy of the Gotoh 301. The Westone bridge screw holes at the back are Fender spacing this bridge covers over the two non-standard holes at the front.

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1334389854' post='1615456']
I'd drop the Bass Doc a PM about the plate - he made me one recently for another bass & it's great!

That was the bridge I bought - I think it's a copy of the Gotoh 301. The Westone bridge screw holes at the back are Fender spacing this bridge covers over the two non-standard holes at the front.

Cheers,

B.
[/quote]

right then - one bridge about to be ordered. thanks so much for all your help.

:)