Why become a member? ×

wiring horn into small cabinet

ceilidhswinger

Ive just recently bought an Ashdown Little Giant that I plan to use with a 1200w cabinet (the kind boy racers use in their cars and they go boom! boom! boom!) which I bought for sweeties at a car boot sale. I think I will need to add a tweeter to cab as a bit too heavy on the bass side. If it works, it will be a fine small space saver set-up for long haul gigs and might double up for double bass? All I need is a wiring diagram, anybody out there know how to add a horn to a cabinet or should I get a pro to do it?

[quote name='ceilidhswinger' timestamp='1334155552' post='1611737']
I will have to check Ohms and stuff I suppose, dont want to blow new amp.
[/quote]

That depends on the type of horn you decide to use.

If you are looking at piezo types then they are treated as not having an impedance.

If you are looking at the more expensive compression driver types then those do have an impedance and will also need a proper crossover

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1334162805' post='1611890']
That depends on the type of horn you decide to use.

If you are looking at piezo types then they are treated as not having an impedance.

If you are looking at the more expensive compression driver types then those do have an impedance and will also need a proper crossover
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply icastle, I will get a look at my mates at the weekend. Am I right in saying that compression type are like little sealed units or land mines? little stubby things!

[quote name='ceilidhswinger' timestamp='1334166500' post='1611954']
Am I right in saying that compression type are like little sealed units or land mines? little stubby things!
[/quote]

Well I generally work on the principle that if it's light and made of plastic it's a piezo but the landmine description of the compression type works for me... :lol:

[quote name='ceilidhswinger' timestamp='1334268810' post='1613730']
Forgot to say, I also disconnected a pcb which speaker and horn were connected to,pcb had resistor and capasitor on board, I will connect dry and see if it all works,
[/quote]

You're going to need that PCB...