Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5 P11 / Spector Euro 5 neckthrough

Willmill_77

:) Hi,

I'm considering a yamaha trb5 p11 or a Spector Euro 5LX (the neckthrough one!)

I'm getting a good price on the Spector (<£1000 new) and I'd like advice on how it stacks up against the Yam????

One thin I noticed withthe Spector was the lack of mid-range adjustment!!!!!!!!! as well as the fact you had to unscrew a plat eat athe back to replacethe battery.

However, the Spector felt really good to play !

What opinions does anyone have on these basses?

Thanks

Will

I've owned both Will - albeit the TRB was fretless and my Spector was a Euro and not the LX. Although IMO the Yammy is a superb bass and great value for money, again IMO, the Spector is in a different class.

They sound very different too - the Spector is brighter, more aggressive and the output is huge whereas the Yammy has a warmer more trad sound.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Will but the Euros and Euro LXs are phenominal basses with amazing build quality and components.

I've played Spectors & have liked them, but they're a bit of a leaden tool, rather like a Precision. Huge thumpy sound & presence, but I much prefer the TRB. More of a hifi bass (not surprisingly) more like a wooden Status. The newer ones with the piezo in the bridge sound absolutely amazing. I'd like the new TRB-6P myself!

Again, depends which one fits you best & which one you like the sound of the most. Perhaps also, the type of music you play. The TRB will do almost everything, and the Spector is mainly a rock bass with it's aforementioned punch.

Homer, liked your interview in BGM this month!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='176371' date='Apr 14 2008, 04:07 PM']I've played Spectors & have liked them, but they're a bit of a leaden tool, rather like a Precision.

The TRB will do almost everything, and the Spector is mainly a rock bass with it's aforementioned punch.[/quote]

:huh: ;) :)

Tell that to Doug Wimbish, Reinie Press (Neil Diamond), Chuck Rainey, Leigh Foxx (Blondie), Dean Jarvis (Nelly Furtado), Graham Maby (Natalie Merchant/Joe Jackson etc), Aaron Mills (Outkast) etc etc etc etc.....

The Yamaha is a great bass.... very solid and workmanlike with a great tonal range, but like Homer says.... the Euros are phenomenal basses, great value for money and have amazing build quality/components...