Why become a member? ×

new bridge or not?

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I took my db to a luthier a couple of weeks back and had a couple of small jobs done. He said, although not essential yet, it would need a new bridge sometime in the future. How do you know when it needs a new bridge? Being a newbie I cannot tell.[/font][/color][/size]

It depends...

Everyone's different. I can only suggests to read up on it as much as possible, but more importantly, play the bass as much as you can and get a feel for how things are working for you. Maybe take the bass to a more experience player / teacher and also get their opinion. If it plays ok (in your opinion), then stick with the current bridge, until you feel something needs changing, for instance, the action, the sustain etc. There are many other variables, especially the strings, but most importantly, technique / ability / experience. As with most things, time will tell. The thing is not to panic and stick with it if it works ok for you. Get it changed when you're ready...

Good luck in your endeavours.

Edited by zero9

If there's any bending or warping I'd replace it a.s.a.p.

I had one snap on a gig , they go with a hell of a crack and can damage the front of your bass!

I agree with keeponehandloose, theyr'e not too difficult to fit if you've got basic woodworking skills and patience.

yes i think it is slightly warped but it still seems to play ok .i will do some more reading up on the subject as i will defo be having a go at doing it myself. i had to take quite a bit out of the wing slots to fit the hurley that Tom lent me. i dont know if that might have weekend it?
i do know that the db is 15y old so it would probably want a new one and it would be piece of mind too.i am hoping Tom will have a quick look over it when i take his hurley back in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

I'm in the same position and got the same response from the same luthier. Basically it (and the set up) are fine for where you are now ie starting out but before long work will be needed. My teacher said the same thing so I think he's being honest.

Steve

PS We're due a pint and a gab sometime

You can fix a warped bridge.
Steam it in a vegetable steamer for 10 mins, with lid on. Not submerged in the water, but held above the water bathed in steam
While it's still hot, lay it on a flat surface, put a flat bit of wood over the top and pile as many heavy things on as you can.
Leave it a few hours ...
Bingo.