Why become a member? ×

storing your db

At home I think carefully leaning upright in a corner or laying on its side is the safest/easiest. If its upright for a while I put the spike in. Also a good idea to keep away from direct sunlight and radiators.

On a gig if it's on the floor look out for people tripping, especially over the extended end pin. Also look out for music stands being knocked onto it and of course radiators.

I'm not so keen on portable stands at home, but it does reduce the risk of people tripping on a gig.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1333980133' post='1609058']
do you think its worth getting a stand, do any of you guys have a stand?
[/quote]

I love my stand. Sits in the corner and means I don't have to fret about stability every time I put the bass away. I don;t use it at gigs though cos there's rarely enough room.

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1333977405' post='1609014']
I'm sure it's fine on the spike, it just raises the centre of gravity thereby increasing the possibility of damage from a fall.
[/quote]

Yeah fair point. Mine's in a corner of the dining room where people only go to pick up the double bass, so it's safe enough there. Even the dog won't go near it he leaves the room when I start playing, although perhaps that's down to my intonation I don't know. :D

I too have a stand although, as my music room is by default a 'me only' space (no kids and my wife just never goes in there because she has no reason to), it tends to lay on the floor on its side as to put it on the stand, I need to retract the spike which is a hassle. At gigs, it lays on the floor.