Why become a member? ×

PW Farrell's BassTalk

PW Farrell

Hey bass chat peoples! I just discovered this site. Slick.....

I really dig the vibe. My name is Pat Farrell and I am a bassist currently based in Melbourne, Australia.
Today I joined the throng of musicians in cyber land by posting a video blog. LOL.

I hope you get something out of this. It is pretty casual.

Peace.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSJGQqM-OA&list=UUndOHQNC9vd7tYMX7rf1OZA&index=1&feature=plcp[/media]

[quote name='PW Farrell' timestamp='1333960880' post='1608645']
Hey Daz. Sorry about that video stopping issue. It's a weird one. It is playing for people in Australia and Canada so maybe it's some sort of UK specific issue with a server or something? I really don't know. What a pity.

PWF
[/quote]

I managed to watch it via YT in the end, so I've now seen the complete video. Your playing's top notch, & looking forward to seeing some more :)

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='PW Farrell' timestamp='1333976115' post='1608970']
Thanks Louisthebass. I'll plan the next video more before letting the camera roll ;)

If you have any ideas of what you want me to cover in the next one feel free to hit me up.

PWF
[/quote]

That's cool - I'd be interested to see how you come with with your rhythmic ideas - it sounds like your're really into transcribing horn lines?

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1333993132' post='1609350']
Great stuff P-Dubs! In the video you say basing your solo on the melody is key, but at the end you say that basing your lines on rhythmic patterns is also key... I guess the ultimate is then rhythmic patterns based off the melody??
Can't wait for the next one!
[/quote]

Craggle Rock! I think they are two mutually independent concepts - rhythmic content and melodic content are constants by default (everything has a rhythm and pitch).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to truly know a song you have to know everything: melody, how that is harmonised (chord progression) and the style it's being performed in. If you know the melody well enough you will begin to draw melodic inspiration from it.....possibly more importantly (and this is something I am always working on) knowing the melody inside out helps you to keep your place in the form.

The rhythmic thing is more of a personal observation. I mean everyone knows phrasing and timing is everything. But for me I'm usually pretty happy with the melodic content of my improvising but it's the rhythmic CONVICTION of my ideas that defines wether I'm playing well or not.

I mean - you've seen that Scott Henderson video yeah? The one where he plays jingle bells with random notes? That's partly what I'm talking about. Rhythm carries so much weight that it can actually provide more relevance than note choice.

Finally - I know you're into composing/production....Don't you reckon playing/improvising is just like production? The various elements of tone/rhythm/melodic and harmonic content....in various contexts the spotlight may be on one element more than the other....(and this is the important bit) the single most important thing is that there is a binding idea - wether it be a rhythmic energy, melodic energy or even a conceptual energy (paddle-pop sticks set on fire and glued to piglet?).

You know what I mean brother.

PWF

Yeah i hear you man! I think beneath it all is honesty as well as conviction, they go hand in hand. And I suppose you're right in terms of composition sharing the principles as an improvisation.
I haven't seen the scott henderson vid but vic wooten does the same thing where he plays a solo using only the 'right notes' but bad timing, phrasing, dynamics, tone etc; then he plays one with all the 'wrong' notes but the rhythmic conviction and mastery of the other elements makes it sound so right.

Hey Basschat peeps.

I have just finished another Bass Talk video. This one covers a few chromatic exercises and rhythmic devices you can use in your practice.
Let me know if you have any questions or anything. As always with me it's all pretty casual.

Take care everyone.

Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3FOs2_MoDU&feature=g-upl&context=G2205c9fAUAAAAAAAAAA

PWF

• 1 month later...

Hey UK bass peoples.

Thanks so much for the supportive way you responded to my first few videos.

I've just uploaded the 3rd instalment.....thanks to having the chance to play with some truly ferocious drummers lately, I've been thinking more and more about TIME. Mainly - how to be more confident of where the time is in situations where the drummer is implying alternate metres and displacing the groove by really bent degrees. It's one thing to just tap your foot extra hard and plough through.....but surely it would be better to be able to just hear all this as easily as hearing harmony?

I have collected a few of my favourite/current metronome games together in this video. I really hope you get something out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeoJebKS_Wo&list=UUndOHQNC9vd7tYMX7rf1OZA&index=1&feature=plcp

Cheers.

Pat 'PW' Farrell

Stellar stuff again my friend! Time is uber critical to getting so many aspects of your playing sounding right, but most of rarely focus on it as in depth as you present here I'm guessing! Being comfortable with drummers who imply other times and have fun with polyrhythms can be real gig saver (as you know I know..!) so being able to confidently understand what a the drummer is doing and either choose to follow him or stick with 'regular time' is really important.
Keep 'em coming man!
C