Why become a member? ×

Quasi- Esperanza Spalding-related question

Blondino

Anyone else been digging the new Esperanza Spalding album? If not, why not? :)

I have a question. Since I get my music off iTunes these days, I have no idea who the personnel on an album are. I'm dying to find out who the guitarist is on the track "Smile Like That". Sounds like a young Allan Holdsworth. Anyone know?

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1333714746' post='1605602']
I've only heard (via YouTube) Black Gold which I found disappointing. I wanted to be amazed in a good way but was taken aback by how shockingly bad I thought it was. Lyrics, singing, music...not my cup of tea.
[/quote]

I tend to skip that one to be fair :P

[quote name='Blondino' timestamp='1333714102' post='1605586']
I'm dying to find out who the guitarist is on the track "Smile Like That". Sounds like a young Allan Holdsworth. Anyone know?
[/quote]

After a bit of Googling, I'd conclude it's Jef Lee Johnson. He has quite a distinctive tone, similar to that of John Schofield

Edited by Roland Rock

I really like her new album - Black Gold is one of the most pop orientated tunes on there, there are plenty of better tunes with great baselines and some cool vocals too - I'm annoyed I'm away when she's playing Koko in London in May as that should be a great gig