Why become a member? ×

new starter upright bass in bucks

lupolubrano

Hi one and all,

I'm a new starter on upright bass, based in M. Keynes, will attend my first lesson next week. Never put my hands on an upright bass, that's where I'm at...

I'm a jazz guitar player, I studied theory and stuff a while ago, but can manage with a music sheet and with basic jazz harmony.

I need few tips from more experienced students/players:

- I found a local teacher, planning to get the basics with one hour a week tutorial and then exercise at home. Is that a reasonable plan, say for about a couple years, to get the basics right and then go ahead on playing/studying by myself? That was my experience with guitar: I studied in a Jazz Centre for about two years and then worked my way through with tabs, music books, other players, etc;

- I'm not planning to buy an upright bass straight away: I'd like to get started (my teacher has a spare bass), rent one for few months (Thwaites in Watford has very resonable deals), and then make up my mind. Does that make sense? Should I start looking around for a student model? I've seen on the interned they go for about 800/1,000 quid for a basic acoustic model, or about 300/400 for an electric Stagg type;

- I'm not really aiming at professional playing, rather good amatorial level, enjoying the whole experience, possibly local gigs or local groups. Any tips on that? What to do, where to begin, etc...?

Thanks in advance,

lupo

hiya Lupo
i'd be REALY positive about you moving from jazz guitar to bass. I believe the theory, progressions and musical skill will serve you well. I was a classical bass player moving to guitar (more rock) and found some crossover there. I THINK that your jazz theory and chord knowledge will transfer.

I think I'd try and have a bass at home even if a bass guitar - I'd suggest that playing bass lines on a guitar doesn't really work.

Anyhow, there are more knowledgable folks on here so you'll get good advice I'm certain!

Fitz