Why become a member? ×

What Hofner?

Tripehound

I suppose the proper place to ask this might be the Hofner Hounds forum but their registration process seems not to be working right now so here goes instead...

I picked up this fine little Hofner a while back in a trade but have singularly failed to identify what it is! I presume it is actually a Hofner - the logo looks right - but the question is which model? The unusual thing about it is that the finish is an antique matt sunburst and all of the Ignitions and Contemporary models that I've seen are all glossy. There's no obvious serial number to go on. I tried a couple of shops when trying out for a new amp but they were left scratching their heads too....

Any clues folks?

[attachment=104159:IMAG0125.jpg][attachment=104160:IMAG0127.jpg][attachment=104161:IMAG0126.jpg][attachment=104162:IMAG0128.jpg]

Good evening, Tripehound (are you sure you want to keep that pseudo..? Really..? Oh, well...)...

I've posted your question (with the pics...) on the HH forum for you. I'll let you know if there are any (printable...) replies (although you can see for yourself, I suppose...).
As for registration, I'm not aware of any particular problem. Maybe just unlucky..? If you try again and don't succeed, please let me know and I'll find out what the problem (and solution..?) could be.
Hope this helps...

That's very decent of you - thanks! The first attempt to register returned a server error, the second time the registration e-mail didn't arrive. Turns out the mail was stuck in Google as spam - I use Exchange up front and it didn't get that far. Resolved now.

Good evening, TH...

Apparently, there will probably be a certificate label, with model and serial n°, inside the body, under the control panel. If you (carefully...) unscrew it and lift it away, it should be visible.
Worth a try..?

Hi there Dad3353 - many thanks for investigating this.

As you'll see from the post on HH (now a member), I got the jack plate off and discovered that it's an Ignition. For an entry-level model, it's a great piece of kit - plays and sounds terrific. Must go and try out a Contemporary now to see how they compare. There was a pukka (new (other)) German bass on eBay the other day - went for about £550 if memory serves .... hmmmm.